Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Welp, getting about 5 eggs a day from the six! All green/blue! That's VERY promising! I'm hopefully rehoming 3 in the next couple weeks. :) Then I can do a little shuffle, bring the ones who were hatched from brown eggs into the garage and give them some supplemental lighting and move the other three outside.

I have two batches of chicks growing out right now that were all from blue eggs so that's promising too. Those will be next years layers. They're 10 weeks and 6 weeks right now.

Hey, I might want to get bantam Ameraucanas next year. Are they good layers? Is it true that Ameraucanas don't lay well in the winter?

I am not sure if the hatchery I would buy from (Privett Hatchery) sells true Ameraucanas or EEs, but either way, I would be happy. And I would like to learn more about Ameraucanas anyway!

My experience is not with bantams but... Ameraucanas are strong layers as long as they have a lot of light, but they stop early in the winter and start late in the spring.

http://www.privetthatchery.com/home/product.aspx?Session=b96f7048dd574f31aca5a67c7a15ffda&id=ARS
http://www.privetthatchery.com/home/product.aspx?Session=b96f7048dd574f31aca5a67c7a15ffda&id=ARB

These are both easter eggers. Tip one; they don't list a color. (Example BARRED rocks, WHITE leghorns, BUFF Brahamas, SILVER LACED Wyandottes... These are ????? Ameraucanas???)

Tip two, they don't spell the name correctly. They sell Americanas not Ameraucanas.

My blue and black ameraucanas are getting big. The cockerel is nearly as big as my bantam rooster now.
2A56AEEA-3316-4558-AE19-31EF114081D2.jpeg

It sounds like maybe they are ESL or have a communication related disability. It sure looks like a wheaten to my eyes.

The hens are definitely mixed. I think they're saying the hens are GL Wyandotte and Ameraucana mix. I don't care about the hens, tbh. They can go live with a friend, get rehomed, or be used for eggs or chicken meat.

Phone number is local which seems legit. We have a lot of ESL people in the area.

The real question is whether he's better than ol pale-legs-whose-sister-layed-brown-eggs over here;
20190102_135217.jpg

Kinda hard to say I think.

So far 5 hens from his eggs have layed blue/green which is promising but the other 7 aren't laying yet.

The rooster in the add has dark legs... but do they have a green tinge?

Shudder

If those dark legs are pure slate... yeah, might be nice to add him in.... depending on what his face looks like.

If those legs have green in them... don't add the nightmare of even more unwanted genetics.

Back
Top Bottom