Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Well, as Holly puts it- the silvers are like leghorns on steroids
lau.gif

From my experience, the wheatens are middle-of-the-road personality, and the lavenders have the most cochin-like: sweet and easy going.
BBS I have heard have the best egg color.

"BBS" ? What does that stand for?

Quote:
Well, as Holly puts it- the silvers are like leghorns on steroids
lau.gif

From my experience, the wheatens are middle-of-the-road personality, and the lavenders have the most cochin-like: sweet and easy going.
BBS I have heard have the best egg color.

"BBS" ? What does that stand for?

Blue/Black/Splash

BBS males are like pets, really. The females are pretty laid back, too, but a little more dominant than Blue Wheatens.

Blue Wheatens are pretty calm, have very chittery whistly conversations, although my males are usually really, umm, horny.

My Buffs so far are really attached to me and really good/non-flighty, but they're HORRIBLE about being picked up or perching, and I think that's just because they didn't have perches or much contact with people when with Pips&peeps (But she can correct me on this
wink.png
) The cockerel has made tic-tac-toe games on my arms.

Funny you say that about your new Buffs, Illia. The trio of Black I just got from the Smith's seemed as though they had never seen a dog, a quad, or an apple before! When I placed them on their roost, they had a tough time balancing at first. It was very cute. I love them!

This picture is of them checking out their new view!
smile.png

57060_blacktrio.jpg

Quote:
Blue/Black/Splash

Does anyone have pictures of the BBS Cock & Hen they could post for my education?

I don't have any splash, but I have blues that will make BBS. Otherwise, I have blues and blacks. Also note, mine are cockerels and pullets. . . Few months away from being cocks and hens.

Blue cockerel

5033971479_3bddcaedcb_z.jpg

5034616816_d5bf081c1d_z.jpg

Blue pullet, puffed up while broody

5034591226_44465ed86e_z.jpg

Dark blue pullet w/gypsy face

5030871780_dce2db183c_z.jpg

And a Black cockerel

5033996555_786f8fcb98_z.jpg

- And black pullet

5116091538_408fdcff52_z.jpg

Quote:
No, they have perches. About half of that batch of birds pretty much refused to use them. They even were pooping in the nest boxes!

Usually you can avoid the nest box pooping by making sure the roosts are higher than the nest boxes. They prefer to roost as high as possible and by putting the nest boxes a bit lower you reduce the chance of the birds sleeping in them. It didn't work with that batch of birds.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom