Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Yes, the hackles are supposed to be more orangey red, the tips can be blonde.

If you don't show and don't plan on selling them as ameraucanas, then I would just breed what you want to. They look like very nice birds.

I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions I have on Ameraucanas. I was planning on getting LF W/BW eggs to hatch in early 2011. However, I found another forum that has me concerned about how healthy these birds are. There were a handful of WELL KNOWN breeders on there talking about their flocks having respiratory issues and I've read that some of those pass thru to the egg. I don't want to buy eggs that'll give me sick birds right away. I've already been thru that once with an Ameraucana breeder in WI who I bought an expensive trio from 3 years ago and culled the darn things 2 weeks after I bought them - they were already sneezing and snotting in the car on the drive home and developed severe fowl pox two days later. Breeder said tough cookies, you bought 'em. It was a private sale from his farm.

Also, it seems some of you have problems with your hens producing eggs, meaning I see quite a few people have hens that don't lay eggs at all or very sporadically. Is this a general Ameraucana trait?

Is there a reliable breeder that has healthy birds I can buy eggs from? Looking for nice W/BW LF. Thanks

Look no further than the poster above you!

I have gotten Wheaten eggs and chicks from Jean (Pips&Peeps), and they are very healthy vigorous birds. I haven't had any health issues from any of them. I can't comment on their laying, as they're still too young.

I'm sure there are others out there with trustworthy stock, but I've been happy with my purchases from Jean.

Quote:

On the north lawn out back in an isolation cage are two pretty Ameraucanas. They had eaten all of the cucumbers that Peachick had placed in there with them and they were FIESTY! Even though they got here a day late. There is a pretty little wheaten pullet and a gorgeous little Splash Wheaten Ameraucana Roo!

I did a thorough exam, they are mite and lice free, nostrils and mouths are clear and healthy. Since their arrival, they've been eating high protien feed as well as a cut up apple and some scratch. I even gave them a little Alaskan Salmon and they just gobbled it down so fast!!! Obviously the two days in transit left them hungry.

When I opened the box, they were squawking and scared to death, I placed the pullet in the cage first and then when I tried to grab the roo, he jumped straight up and out and then the chase was on. Wish someone would have been filming me... and yes I got winded. He is a VERY healthy, fiesty bird! My 16 year old son is going to be SO HAPPY. He's always wanted a Splash Wheaten roo to put with the wheaten hens.

Quote:
It depends. Hidden recessives are easy to bring out with the right out-cross (test cross) if they exist. If you make the test crosses you can completely eliminate those genes without any chance of them showing up again. If you don't want to go through this, then breed them a couple generations to see what you get. It might be something very nice. You can always add birds to the line that contain the traits you're trying to bring out or improve. In the meantime, you're likely to have a very strong, vigorous line - which is what hybrid birds tend to exhibit. If the occasional recessive trait show up, so what? Cull it and move on.

Quote:
44349_9574_thread_useless.jpg
wink.png

Quote:
Oh my gosh! Those are SO cute!
droolin.gif
GREAT pictures. I als envy your green yard. The cold has turned everything brown here.

I placed an order for black, lavender and silver ameraucanas. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Quote:
Oh my gosh! Those are SO cute!
droolin.gif
GREAT pictures. I als envy your green yard. The cold has turned everything brown here.

I placed an order for black, lavender and silver ameraucanas. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom