Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I guess they have to make up for their size by being fast and smart! Amelia is usually the first one down the ramp in the morning and first one at the treat bowl. When I sit down in the yard to watch chicken TV, she always jumps up on the back of my chair to see if I have any treats in my pocket. I toss seeds for the rest of the flock but she is my pet and gets hand fed! She may be tiny and flighty but I love her!

Quote:
I just got the show catalog for Sedalia last week. Don't know if we're going or not. If you can make it, the ABC SC meet is going to be in Shawnee, OK in Dec.

The antigen is the only big $ part of the testing. All the people at KSU and KSAHD have been great. No matter how much I've bothered them.

Most everyone thought we were crazy when we started, but after seeing how much it means to the kids, they've come around. IMHO so far, each show is a bit different and the only way to find out what's what is to just go. Haven't regretted going to a single one.

Quote:
Yes, size is an issue in the silvers.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

Thank you! Small size is probably why they can fly so well! Mine loves to fly up to the top of our swing cover and hang out there. I keep warning her that she is going to get picked off by a hawk if she keeps doing that. She only listens to me when I have treats to share!

Quote:
smile.png

Thank you! Small size is probably why they can fly so well! Mine loves to fly up to the top of our swing cover and hang out there. I keep warning her that she is going to get picked off by a hawk if she keeps doing that. She only listens to me when I have treats to share!

It was mentioned awhile back that John Blehm crossed his silvers back to the bantams to improve something, so his line runs on the small size. Not sure what line yours are from, but I have a silver roo that is smaller.

yuckyuck.gif
My Am's make me laugh everyday.

I have a similar situation to Mahonri's so I feel very sorry for what has happened. I live in a suburban area but the Antelope Valley is actually supposed to be more "country-like" (but they have those tracts of cookie-cutter houses, and I live in one). But I am going to look at a foster home this weekend hopefully and my chooks will stay there (if my SO and I like the place) until we can get our own place out in the country. I don't have a letter from the city (yet) but I need to do this now because I never know when I could get that letter (even if most of our neighbors are friendly with us....never know).

I do wish Mahonri good luck!

Last edited:
I have a splash Ameraucana that was suppose to be a pullet, but I am now thinking she is a He. Hate the thought of getting rid of her/him. He is the only Ameraucana that I have and I was really looking forward to the blue eggs. My question is if I let him have his way with my hens (not Ameraucana), would the Ameraucana X pullets lay blue eggs? They might be mutts, but I could then get a few hens for their blue eggs:)

Michiele

Quote:
Any pea-combed female offspring would probably lay blue eggs. Especailly if the momma hen lays white or light brown. Or you could use him to make blue olive eggers if you have any marans or welsummer girls
wink.png
My favorite cross is with giant cochins.

One of my white Am's is smaller than the other two (and the three are smaller than everyone else in the coop) but boy, is she smart and FAST when it comes to treats! She may be small but she is quick.

My Ameraucana is by far the smartest of the group. Not sure if she is a she or he, but she is also smaller than all the other birds. She is always first to the treats too! She jumps the highest for treats, gets to the treat first, etc. When we are bug hunting, if we find one, we point to it and say "Here it is" and she is always the first one there to grab the bug!​

Back
Top Bottom