Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Here are my first BBS eggs.....from 3 hens....not blue, but still pretty. Is this an acceptable Ameracauna egg color?

Technically no.

You want blue, and a slight greenish blue is accepted, but those are pretty darn green. As asked before, you sure those aren't Olive Eggers? They're very gorgeous, just, not anything I've ever seen in purebreds. And I've had some pretty nasty green layers before.

Here are the BBS. There are 5 black and 1 blue hens. I know 3 are laying because for 2 different days now I have found 3 eggs sitting together. Will I ever get a blue egg?

Last edited:
That is so weird Lark, they look just like my birds but dang those eggs don't. I have two hatches from same breeder. I can't remember which time you were hatching same as me. Are these birds hatched in September or July? Cuz my September babies are not laying yet. Is there anyway one of your olive eggers is sneaking in and laying these eggs?
I was told the egg color never changes, only the intensity of color. Are you giving them any vitamin supplements that could be affecting egg color?

They hatched 8/8/11. We got eggs the same time as we were hatch buddies on the same thread....so you have none that are green? idk
idunno.gif

That is so weird Lark, they look just like my birds but dang those eggs don't. I have two hatches from same breeder. I can't remember which time you were hatching same as me. Are these birds hatched in September or July? Cuz my September babies are not laying yet. Is there anyway one of your olive eggers is sneaking in and laying these eggs?
I was told the egg color never changes, only the intensity of color. Are you giving them any vitamin supplements that could be affecting egg color?

They hatched 8/8/11. We got eggs the same time as we were hatch buddies on the same thread....so you have none that are green? idk
idunno.gif

Quote:
Oops misread my records.. yes I hatched BBS on 8/4/11. Yeah none of mine are that green.
I took notes of the markings on the eggs. All of mine that hatched in August were "pen 1". I have birds from "pen 3" "pen 4" and "splash pen" that have not started laying yet. So we shall see in another month what color comes up with those girls.
hu.gif

Keep me updated.
LOL.....does this mean I have to move to the Olive-egger thread?

Oops misread my records.. yes I hatched BBS on 8/4/11. Yeah none of mine are that green.
I took notes of the markings on the eggs. All of mine that hatched in August were "pen 1". I have birds from "pen 3" "pen 4" and "splash pen" that have not started laying yet. So we shall see in another month what color comes up with those girls.
hu.gif

Aggression is passes down by the hen not the rooster. make note of which hens the aggressive birds come from and then remove hen from the hatching eggs pool.

That's an interesting statement and is contrary to everything I've ever seen or read.  Can you share your source with us?

Personally, everything I've read or heard talked about the roosters being the culprit when it comes to aggressive birds but I've always sort of thought that both parents likely contribute to it.  It makes no sense to me that personality woulld be a sex-linked gene or something.

God Bless,

I'll try and find it again but might be lost in cyber space.....
Rooster fighters breed for rooster aggression but not human aggression.
What I read was that for game fighting if the rooster gets aggressive with humans they cull the hen that produced the rooster not the rooster.
It could be split by both male and female but since we humans tend to keep the nice docile male for our breeders, then the hen would be the carrier of the aggressive trait.

I was bored and researching it since my rooster was becoming human aggressive at the time, it was a link in a link in a link translated a few different languages article. :D
I will try and track it down again since there is not much research in that area here in the western countries where game fighting is illegal (and should be!)

Back
Top Bottom