Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Would love some input on the 3 pictured below.

My 3 BBS Ameraucanas, with my broody BCM (She does not know to be broody in a nest box!). The Ameraucanas are 15 weeks old. Beards and muffs are a bit 'sticky' from yogurt and applesauce. I believe the black on the right is a cockerel. The comb is a bit purple from Blue-Kote I applied after a tiff through the hardware cloth with my Blue Wheaten cockerel.

LL

Other pics of my suspected Black boy.
LL

Flash washed out color of the comb. And that is yogurt all of his face.

Yes, that is a cockerel. :)

The pics of my birds are on post # 14653.....a few pages back.
I'm sure they are not OE. Several hens, at least 3, are laying, because that's how many eggs I find together on the same day.
Gary Ramey told me he occasionally sees BBS with green eggs, but he culls or does not hatch their eggs. Apparently, it was a big problem in the 70s but years of culling has mostly eliminated the issue. I guess I have retro BBS. lol.

Last edited:
The chalky green ones I've had before. They weren't as green when wet like yours but yes I've had some pretty bad ones, and yes, they were BBS stock. The birds themselves weren't the greatest in type either, who knows, maybe it is old stock or maybe it's just poorly bred. The farthest I can trace that line back was from a breeder who on their website showed a photo of green, blue, and very green eggs. So, like said, poor breeding likely.

Lark Rise, I went back and looked at the pictures of your birds, they look like pure Ameraucanas to me. My guess is whomever you got the birds from wasn't breeding with egg color in mind. Did you hatch these birds yourself? Were the eggs they came from that green?

Honestly, I wouldn't use them for breeding. I've had some girls that give me a minty green blue egg and one that gave me a more vibrant teal blue egg but none that have ever been as green as what I'm seeing on my computer screen.

The pics of my birds are on post # 14653.....a few pages back.
I'm sure they are not OE. Several hens, at least 3, are laying, because that's how many eggs I find together on the same day.
Gary Ramey told me he occasionally sees BBS with green eggs, but he culls or does not hatch their eggs. Apparently, it was a big problem in the 70s but years of culling has mostly eliminated the issue. I guess I have retro BBS. lol.

When my next batch of BBS that are from same breeder as yours start laying I will let you know what color they are. Possibly one of the pens is producing these green eggs and my girls that are laying now are from a different pen? My next batch is a month behind.
And someone asked about the color of egg they hatched out of. None of mine (from same breeder as Lark's) were that green. They do have more of a green tint than my wheaten girl's egg but not nearly that green.

They are really pretty eggs tho... really pretty.

Here is a different pic Larkrise (Penny) took of those eggs:
"Different light.... dry eggs."
417063_10150548274179397_643834396_8708578_529855480_n.jpg

The first pic (of wet speckled eggs) kinda had me wondering if I had accidently mixed up eggs.

edit: I've never seen anybody elses Ameraucana eggs *in person* except Garys. This pic has 3 rows of the blue, black Am' eggs I bought from him and 2 rows from my girls:
325720620.jpg

Lisa

Last edited:
Good morning all. I have a trio of W/BW Amerus that started to lay in Sept and have been laying well ever since. My only concern is that I think their eggs are on the small side. To compare they are just a pinch bigger than my bantam Cochins. Is this the normal size eggs for Amerus?

Editted to say that there is a pic of my roo and one of his hens in the background on post #14214

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom