Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello i have a question about the ameraucanas. I'm new at this so please do not get mad at me if i say something wrong or don't understand something at first. I usually figure it out but sometimes it takes me a little while to understand.
big_smile.png

I just got my very first ameraucanas today I'm very excited about these birds. I have a beautiful splash grown pair and a black hen. They are true ameraucanas i got them from a very trustworthy person who knows for sure that they are not easter eggers they only lay blue eggs they told me not different colors. I also got 9 wonderful blue wheaten chicks. I plan on putting these in together when they get old enough.
What colors will i get by crossing these?
Can u sex the blue wheatens from chicks by color?
I noticed i have 3 that are more yellow on their heads and the others are more white. Also the ones that are more yellow the coloring on their wings are darker then the others?
Any useful info on these birds from you experts would be greatly appreciated as i am just learning about these this is a whole nother breed not many have round here. Thanks for your time!!!
I'm not a genetics expert, but according to the chicken calculator, if you use the splash male with the blue wheaten girls you would get solid blue, or splash chicks in the first generation but they would not breed true (if you breed the offspring you would get solid, wheaten patterned, and everything in between). They would not be sex-linked.

Question for the experts. I have a wheaten cockerel, 2 wheaten pullets and blue wheaten pullet. I have hatched some very cute fuzzy butts in the past week. They have cute fuzzy cheeks, but their legs are pink/ flesh colored. Is this right? Should they have slate colored legs or does the color "come in" as they get older?

Mine birds are from a breeder who got her stick form peachick so I know that true ameraucanas.

thanks much

The wheaten and blue wheaten chicks hatch out with flesh colored legs and they should turn slate as they mature. I say should because some lines have issues with the legs and they can stay light in color.

If you have that issue with any of your chicks, you would only want to breed from the ones with the correct color legs as they mature.

Which Splash do you have? A Splash from a Blue to Blue breeding or a Wheaten Splash from a Blue Wheaten to Blue Wheaten breeding?
You will use the Splash in your breeding with the Blue and Black breeding program and use the Wheaten Splash with your breeding program of Blue Wheaten and Wheaten.

Here are my pics of our birds.
These two are Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Hens (turn a year mid April).

This is a Splash Wheaten Cock (turns a year mid April).

If anyone has any pictures of the blue wheatens when they are grown will you please send them to me so ill know what they will look like?

The wheaten and blue wheaten chicks hatch out with flesh colored legs and they should turn slate as they mature. I say should because some lines have issues with the legs and they can stay light in color.

If you have that issue with any of your chicks, you would only want to breed from the ones with the correct color legs as they mature.

Thank you!

Carolyn

Hello i have a question about the ameraucanas. I'm new at this so please do not get mad at me if i say something wrong or don't understand something at first. I usually figure it out but sometimes it takes me a little while to understand.
big_smile.png

I just got my very first ameraucanas today I'm very excited about these birds. I have a beautiful splash grown pair and a black hen. They are true ameraucanas i got them from a very trustworthy person who knows for sure that they are not easter eggers they only lay blue eggs they told me not different colors. I also got 9 wonderful blue wheaten chicks. I plan on putting these in together when they get old enough.
What colors will i get by crossing these?
Can u sex the blue wheatens from chicks by color?
noticed i have 3 that are more yellow on their heads and the others are more white. Also the ones that are more yellow the coloring on their wings are darker thenI the others?

Any useful info on these birds from you experts would be greatly appreciated as i am just learning about these this is a whole nother breed not many have round here. Thanks for your time!!!

I hatched some W/BW chicks in Feb and noticed the same coloration. The yellowish head chicks turned out to be Wheaten and the white headed ones are BW. I was able to determine sex by about 5 weeks mostly by chest coloration ( dark color on breast = male ) and comb development. I'm sure someone more experienced than me could have made the determination of sex earlier.

Back
Top Bottom