Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

The mixed colors indicate they are EEs ie no pure ameraucana colors. It is possible that ameraucanas of different colors were bred together to make them, but they are still EEs as they will not breed true to color, nor are they a standard color. I suspect many many of us started off in ameraucanas like this.
the whites are def EE's. All the others have slate legs and near the color pattern as recognized. Just trying to get some more input since this breed is new for me.

Thank you
sad.png

Here are the picks of the Blue Sumatra pullet (6 weeks) that I am going to use to get some more lacing on them Blue Ameraucanas. They have pea combs, there skin can be gypsy, but with dilutes its usually white/pink. They lay a white, or cream tinted egg. My concerns using them: gamey type, multiple spurs on roos, size (hens 4 lbs). We'll see how it turns out. I am still looking for Blue Andalusians in the meantime. I also picked up a splash to breed to a black roo. Just to test things out. I am going to try the blue with b/b/s. See if I can get ice blue, with dark/black lacing!!!!!! I just hope the lacing on these girls is good enough to make improvements, Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Back and part of wing

Chest

Looking straight down on the back.

Here are the picks of the Blue Sumatra pullet (6 weeks) that I am going to use to get some more lacing on them Blue Ameraucanas. They have pea combs, there skin can be gypsy, but with dilutes its usually white/pink. They lay a white, or cream tinted egg. My concerns using them: gamey type, multiple spurs on roos, size (hens 4 lbs). We'll see how it turns out. I am still looking for Blue Andalusians in the meantime. I also picked up a splash to breed to a black roo. Just to test things out. I am going to try the blue with b/b/s. See if I can get ice blue, with dark/black lacing!!!!!! I just hope the lacing on these girls is good enough to make improvements, Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Back and part of wing

Chest

Looking straight down on the back.

Gosh I can't tell if that is lacing or edging. Here is a pic from feather site of lacing on a blue andalusian. I am not sure we need our blue ameraucanas to be this pale but you can see actual crisp lacing on each feather. It is a result of pattern genes that must be present in order to get the single lacing..

The SOP says

Quote:
I guess if it was easy the birds would already have the lacing. I have been working on getting really good andalusians for 4 months myself.
he.gif

I have a mediocre bird right now. I am pretty sure she has most of the pattern genes but we will see what happens when I breed her. To create a big enough gene pool I need more andalusians for sure...not to mention better ones.

The advice I was given is to start with the very best specimens you can find. I am on the long waiting list for black chicks from John Blehm that I will use for this project.

edit: just realized you said the bird is 6 weeks old... maybe the lacing will get crisper as it gets older?

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest using Blue Sumatras or Blue Andalusians to try to get better lacing in your Blue Ameraucanas. Both breeds have yellow skin. This is not something that you want to breed into your Ameraucana liine, yellow skin is a trait that can "hide" recessively in birds and generations later "reappear" unexpectedly. It is something that is very difficult to breed out.

I wouldn't suggest using Blue Sumatras or Blue Andalusians to try to get better lacing in your Blue Ameraucanas. Both breeds have yellow skin. This is not something that you want to breed into your Ameraucana liine, yellow skin is a trait that can "hide" recessively in birds and generations later "reappear" unexpectedly. It is something that is very difficult to breed out.

Blue andalusians have white skin not yellow.

Here is a link to the Ameraucana club forum topic of blue laced ameraucanas.
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1797&f=2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom