Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I'm thrilled that these are not Easter eggers like my last 4 I hatched 5 days ago that were sold to me as pure bred Ameracuana's.(on a different online site)

Also, I'm looking to hatch another set from a reputable breeder. I need to do my research first. I really do want nice birds for my girls to show.
I bet that would be exciting for kids to be raising birds to show.
But just thought I would throw this out there... where I live there is not any possibility of actually showing birds. My kids get a LOT of fun and education out of the whole process. My kids know that we have a rooster with some of our girls so that means the eggs are fertile, we carry them in and place them in a carton to save for incubating. Then the whole incubation process (I don't need to tell you how exciting that is)....then watching the chicks grown into adults and decide who we get to use for breeding. The whole process is rewarding for them and that is without even the possibility of showing birds.
My only point is that there is tons to be learned and build self esteem for kids in addition to showing. Don't miss the forest for the trees!
smile.png

My kids are 21, 19, 16 (these ones roll their eyes at their crazy chicken lady mom) and then 10, 6 and 4.

Had an experienced breeder and exhibitor of poultry stop by to check out my stock today. He actually wanted to buy Gene and his sister, Kelly. But they aren't for sale so he had to settle for the promise of some hatching eggs in the spring. But it was nice validation for me that I'm on the right track with my Ameraucanas. He really did seem quite taken with Gene in particular.
big_smile.png
Sure... rub it in that you have blue birds from Jean and I don't...
lau.gif
Just kidding!
That is awesome to get validation. You are very dedicated...you earned it!

Quote: OOHH! Yours are soo cute! Yeah! I am really cheerful about the cross. The leghorns are really good layers, they never take a day off! They are excellent free rangers also. I hope to have pullets that will lay bigger blue eggs more frequently. Can you feather sex yours?

Quote:
I am truly very thankful to Jean for providing me this fabulous start and even more grateful that I managed to get some worthy stuff out of those eggs! I have Gene and his sisters' first very small batch of chicks growing out right now so I'm excited. With any luck, another pullet or two to add to the breeding pen with Gene next spring.

10 beauties hatched! One still hasn't pipped, it's day 21 or 22, so I'm leaving it in there a couple more days. I'll take pics later to see what y'all think. I think they are beautiful!

I'm surprised I hatched only 2 black. The rest are blue. I was hoping for more black, but I love blue too. I love all Ameraucana colors!

I won't get my money back for my mixed breeds.:(. The lady is arguing that I'm lying and those are pure bred. Oh well, lesson learned. My friend is taking them today for free. I'm happy they are going to a new home. They are still adorable chicks, just not what I intended to hatch. Maybe the females will lay blue eggs for her, they are 1/2 Ameraucana and 1/2 something else with a straight comb.

This was my very first incubator hatch! I'm amazed at my turnout. All, but 1 hatched so far. Except I had 1 quitter that almost exploded.

Sadly, out of the 9 AM's that I hatched, my sister's dog has killed 5 of them from being left outside unsupervised by her. I have a blue, black, and 2 EE's left. And I think they're all roo's. That didn't go well at all.

Sadly, out of the 9 AM's that I hatched, my sister's dog has killed 5 of them from being left outside unsupervised by her. I have a blue, black, and 2 EE's left. And I think they're all roo's. That didn't go well at all.
I'm so truly sorry! How very heartbreaking.

10 beauties hatched! One still hasn't pipped, it's day 21 or 22, so I'm leaving it in there a couple more days. I'll take pics later to see what y'all think. I think they are beautiful!
I'm surprised I hatched only 2 black. The rest are blue. I was hoping for more black, but I love blue too. I love all Ameraucana colors!
I won't get my money back for my mixed breeds.
sad.png
. The lady is arguing that I'm lying and those are pure bred. Oh well, lesson learned. My friend is taking them today for free. I'm happy they are going to a new home. They are still adorable chicks, just not what I intended to hatch. Maybe the females will lay blue eggs for her, they are 1/2 Ameraucana and 1/2 something else with a straight comb.
This was my very first incubator hatch! I'm amazed at my turnout. All, but 1 hatched so far. Except I had 1 quitter that almost exploded.

Wow she is arguing about those chicks? Maybe she needs educated send her to the ABC site to look geez. I am at least very glad you got some good ones! now lets see some pics
big_smile.png
I love fluffy butts

hi ameraucana friends!

I wanted to swing by and find out if anyone has or will have Wheaten or blue wheaten hatching eggs next month or so. I have heard far too many horror stories about ebay eggs, and I can't seem to find much in my area when it comes to this color, so I figure I probably need to hatch my own.

Please PM me if you have something or know a good one to buy from-I am not on here enough to catch up on the thread and find a post

Here are two of my lovely babies. I have 2 blacks and 7 blues. There's one more in the incubator that hasn't pipped. I don't know if it will or not.

600262c2-55d0-cd23.jpg

600262c2-55dc-2d1a.jpg

600262c2-55e8-f940.jpg

The others are sleeping and I didn't want to bother them. I need to band their legs today and keep track of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom