Ameraucana vs Easter Egger debacle

My first chicks... We were told she is an Blue Ameraucana Cochin, but now I'm curious... What is an EE??
Technically, and Easter Egger is any bird with the blue egg shell gene. Hatchery sourced "Ameraucana" are actually descended from the original imported stock that true Ameraucana are derived from. It's the hatchery birds that most people know as Easter Eggers. But your bird would also fall into the general category of Easter Egger, since one parent was true Ameraucana and can be guaranteed to have a blue egg shell gene.

In my profile pic are my ameracauna ( dark one) the other is my Easter egger ( the golden one)

Can I ask you a question? I got some chicks from someone. They said that father of all of them is a pure Ameraucana, and the mothers were Cuckoo Marans, Blue Splash Marans, and pure Ameraucana. Short of waiting to see what color eggs the girls lay, is there any way for me to tell which ones are the pure Ameraucana chicks? Thank you.

The miss labeling of EE is causing me grief when selling my extra rooster. Everyone comments asking to buy the Americana and then backs out when I correct them. *sigh* I kind of understand why people sell EE as Americanas. My bad.... Ameraucana

Last edited:
The miss labeling of EE is causing me grief when selling my extra rooster. Everyone comments asking to buy the Americana and then backs out when I correct them. *sigh* I kind of understand why people sell EE as Americanas.
The list him as an Easter Egger, not a misspelled version of a breed name...

Both are actually Easter Eggers.

Actually no. I bred them myself and am a certified historical ameracauna heirloom protection breeder and avian vet, with specialty in various chicken breeds. So thanks but no thanks. :) I know where my bloodlines come from and I have been breeding ameracaunas 20 yrs and am a certified breeder and work with my local vet school to preserve the bloodline. Actually in the US there are no pure ameracaunas as the blood lines have been diluted out. So there's that.

The list him as an Easter Egger, not a misspelled version of a breed name...

I'm sorry.... I have listed him as an Easter Egger... Not an ameracauna. People still think that's what I have despite correct labels due to the breed being mislabeled so much. No need to be rude about a spelling mistake.

Last edited:
I'm sorry.... I have listed him as an Easter Egger... Not an ameracauna. People still think that's what I have despite correct labels due to the breed being mislabeled so much. No need to be rude about a spelling mistake.
Sorry. It's something that is happening all over this site, the intentional misspelling being pushed by a few people as a replacement for the term Easter Egger... Kind of drives me crazy when people who know better, perpetuate the confusion.

Sorry. It's something that is happening all over this site, the intentional misspelling being pushed by a few people as a replacement for the term Easter Egger... Kind of drives me crazy when people who know better, perpetuate the confusion.

It's OK. I completely understand! I am a horrible speller and normally go with what my phone suggests.

Back
Top Bottom