Ameraucana vs Easter Egger debacle

Actually no. I bred them myself and am a certified historical ameracauna heirloom protection breeder and avian vet, with specialty in various chicken breeds. So thanks but no thanks.
smile.png
I know where my bloodlines come from and I have been breeding ameracaunas 20 yrs and am a certified breeder and work with my local vet school to preserve the bloodline. Actually in the US there are no pure ameracaunas as the blood lines have been diluted out. So there's that.
Please explain to me how a bird that is not a recognized color/variety is an Ameraucana? She looks like a wild-type partridge, and as such, won't breed true.

Color varieties are put into breeds every other day. As long as the breed fits the standard in all other aspects when the project is done it's that breed. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck. The photo in question doesn't show if the bird indeed has muffs and beard. Wouldn't even know about body type confirmation- not my breed, but if everything stacks up excepting color than it's simply a new color for breed. Take the unrecognized Wyandotte variety of blue laced red for example. They indeed look like Wyandotte in every way but that variety is not in the standard.

I understand that, but until you get something that is breeding consistently, it's an Easter Egger. And 'wild-type' partridge birds do not breed true. They have so much going on, genetically, that it's kind of impossible to get them to breed true. The bird I'm questioning looks just like many hatchery sourced Easter Eggers. It doesn't even come close to one of the recognized color varieties for Ameraucana, or any other breed for that matter.

I understand that, but until you get something that is breeding consistently, it's an Easter Egger. And 'wild-type' partridge birds do not breed true. They have so much going on, genetically, that it's kind of impossible to get them to breed true. The bird I'm questioning looks just like many hatchery sourced Easter Eggers. It doesn't even come close to one of the recognized color varieties for Ameraucana, or any other breed for that matter.

What is the difference between wild type partridge markings that is not considered a color and the 'silver' color that is consider a color for Ameraucanas? Thanks.

The Silver in Ameraucana is the Silver Duckwing of other breeds. Males are black and white, and the hens are penciled, with a rosey breast. They consistently reproduce the same kinds of birds, each gender with their specific coloration. And all the chicks will have fairly uniform markings.
Wild-type partridge birds are kind of all over the place, both in chick down and adult plumage. Some will have dark heads and lighter penciling, others will have lighter heads and darker bodies. There is no uniformity to it at all. Chicks that are similar looking can grow to look very different from each other, and chicks that look different at hatch, can end up looking the same as adults.

Technically, and Easter Egger is any bird with the blue egg shell gene. Hatchery sourced "Ameraucana" are actually descended from the original imported stock that true Ameraucana are derived from. It's the hatchery birds that most people know as Easter Eggers. But your bird would also fall into the general category of Easter Egger, since one parent was true Ameraucana and can be guaranteed to have a blue egg shell gene.
Thanks! Any clue when we can tell her sex?

Back
Top Bottom