Ameraucana

We bought 4 Ameraucana's from Tractor Supply. They are all darker in color but one does not have the chubby cheeks like the other three. They are 16 weeks and probably a few weeks away from laying so I guess it will be a mystery color until one lays an egg....lol.

We bought 4 Ameraucana's from Tractor Supply. They are all darker in color but one does not have the chubby cheeks like the other three. They are 16 weeks and probably a few weeks away from laying so I guess it will be a mystery color until one lays an egg....lol.
If they are from TSC they are EE, especially if they weren’t expensive as chicks. Pure ameraucanas are about $20 a chick.

I actually have seen Ameraucana chicks at a feed store (straight run only, labeled with color, higher price point) but as I wasn't interested in getting any I didn't inquire as to where they got them. My guess is a local breeder. They weren't listed on the chick calendar with scheduled dates of arrival from hatchery.

My americauna came from a local breeder and laid every day since she was old enough this summer. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago. Is it because of the shorter day or cold? My others (different breeds), are still laying but not every day. I am so new, but wondering if my little americauna needs something that she isn’t getting to lay?

My americauna came from a local breeder and laid every day since she was old enough this summer. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago. Is it because of the shorter day or cold? My others (different breeds), are still laying but not every day. I am so new, but wondering if my little americauna needs something that she isn’t getting to lay?
I think it's normal. My EE hasnt laid in 2 weeks. Shes fine, still eating, drinking, scratching. I'm wondering if shes going through a mini molt.

Im so jealous and it’s beautiful. Last February I purchased five three week old chicks. Two we’re supposed to be EE. They weren’t so mo blue eggs.

I think it's normal. My EE hasnt laid in 2 weeks. Shes fine, still eating, drinking, scratching. I'm wondering if shes going through a mini molt.
Ok don’t laugh! But what is a mini molt? I haven’t read a ton but I remember reading I about molting but discounted that as a reason because it was the wrong age or time of year? I can’t remember. I just want more blue eggs!

Ok don’t laugh! But what is a mini molt? I haven’t read a ton but I remember reading I about molting but discounted that as a reason because it was the wrong age or time of year? I can’t remember. I just want more blue eggs!
It's a small molt before they get a full fledged molt. I may be wrong but I've been seeing a lot of her feathers in the coop. I hate that shes going through it right now because we are freezing today but it is what it is. I believe they go through 2 mini molts before they go through the big one.

Back
Top Bottom