Ameraucana

It's a small molt before they get a full fledged molt. I may be wrong but I've been seeing a lot of her feathers in the coop. I hate that shes going through it right now because we are freezing today but it is what it is. I believe they go through 2 mini molts before they go through the big one.
They go thru 2-3 molts, called juvenile molts) between hatch and about 6 months old.
Sometimes older pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter, usually just around the neck.
First full adult molt happens their second fall/winter.

Aart's explanation about the EE laying both blue and green eggs makes a lot of sense. It's the brown bloom that shades the egg. and they tend to deplete it, from what I have read, as time passes. Hence the lighter brown bloom = a more blue egg.

They go thru 2-3 molts, called juvenile molts) between hatch and about 6 months old.
Sometimes older pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter, usually just around the neck.
First full adult molt happens their second fall/winter.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Still trying to learn.

Oh ok that makes sense! They were hatched this last spring and started laying a few months ago. So this probably is a “mini-molt” for her? How long would it last?

So, her eggs are def more green now, but she’sa solid layer! Since she started (when I posted the thread) she’s only missed 2 days. She’sa champ!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 8
Wow your grey hen looks exactly like mine! Maybe they came from the same hatchery! Pot Pie our grey (in pic) EE can from a feed mill too. She is 22 weeks got the puffy cheeks also ... just waiting for her first egg!

From what I understand a EE is a cross of a Auracana or Ameracauna Roo and a standard hen. (I’m wondering if Pot Pie is a Auracana x Leghorn cross with her coloring). They are likely to carry on the blue laying genes but are cheaper to breed. But I’m no egg-spurt! :)

she’s so pretty! her name is Chanticleera 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 7
Well, I bought her as an Ameraucana and she looks like an Ameraucana from what I’ve researched. So, I’m going with Ameraucana.

No nice way to say it and not trying to be rude, but yours is an easter egger/mutt - not matter what you say. It lacks all the standards for the Ameraucana breed. You may want to check out the Ameraucana Breeders Club and/or Ameraucana Alliance. They are the two Ameraucana breeder groups here in the United States and a great resource to learn about the Amercauana breed. Their websites have photo examples of the standard breeds. Most people start out with Easter Eggers because they were mislead that what they purchased was the real deal. True Ameraucanas have their own recognized variety and based on the photo that you posted up, it does not match what is an Ameraucana. Your hen also lacks the beard/muffs and the correct leg color. I'm assuming it's the brownest hen, as the black red one looks like a black sex link. It has willow legs, and willow legs are DQ for the breed.

Not trying to put you down, just helping you out by educating as there is TONS of misinformation about the Amercauana AND Araucana breed. No matter, blue layers are awesome and you should have fun with her :).

Back
Top Bottom