Ameraucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Patricia Jane, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Hey, Happy New Year to everyone. I am totally confused about " Ameraucana". Do they even exsist? I will be placing an order for chicks to be sent mid Feb. they are on my list. But all the research that I have done so far points to them being rare and most are EE mutts which happen to carry the blue egg gene or Aracauna mix. Even the hatchery I will be ordering from states Ameraucana "also know as EE". So this means they are not Ameraucana? If this is so then why don't they sell them as EEers? Thanks for any clarifications. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around this breed.

2. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    There are some lovely breed threads here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269287
    and
    you wont be confused for long. Deff get them, they are awesome birds!! You are right though if you get them from a feed store
    or hatchery they will be EEs. There are, however, some of the nicest Ameraucanas you can find owned by folks here on BYC.
    Start keeping an eye to the BST in the spring, and curl up with a nice mug of cocoa and read the links.
    You are already off to a good start and avoiding some mistakes others have made. EES are super, too, you probably want both!!
    You can never have enough chickens who lay tinted eggs!!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
  4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks too all for the great info and threads, especially the thread on the difference btwn them. Great info. I can now say I am no longer confused and even more excited about getting mine. I have learned so much from this site. I look forward to a long educational experience with you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by