Ameraucana (?)

bowen012

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
North Carolina
Allegedly these chicks are a variety of Ameraucanas. Zero experience with them (and really it doesn't matter other than curiosity) so just wondering if indeed they are Ameraucana chicks or likely EEs (or something different all together) and to what color they are likely to become as adults.

Photos below:

They don't look like Americauna chicks to me. A couple of the black ones look like barred rocks.

Thanks for the replies. I suspected as much and even though the chicken seller was obviously not very truthful; I still wound up with 7 new chickens. After photo matching, I definitely buy into the blacks being barred rocks; the others still uncertain - the ones without the black patches have green tinted legs, so hoping it carries over into egg laying colors (that essentially was the point of adding this batch; color to my current eggs per request of my 5 year old - and it finally give me a reason to expand my flock).

Will add photos as they grow. Thanks.

Sorry they aren't EE's... But I love the way Barred Rocks look. I have several myself. As for the yellow chicks, I'm not sure what breed they are. But I know EE's will have poofy cheeks (look like beards)

Updated photos as the chicks grow. A few have developed some tufts on their cheeks, so hopeful for those at least to add some color to my egg basket (My luck they're roos in the waiting). Anyway, just looking for some possible further ID on the others, they may be mutts, but curiosity as they grow and all.... Here they are. As earlier they were advertised Ameraucana, but that doesn't seem to be the case (from local farmer, not a bulk breeder or feed store buy), obviously still hopeful for EE's but what can you do at this stage. Anyway, just a frivolous update as they get a bit bigger (I never cease to be amazed at how fast these things grow). More updates in the coming weeks... Thanks

Above photo of the group as they huddle in the corner fleeing the camera monster...

Not much in the way of markings on this guy. No forming tuft yet. Yellow legs. Just a splash of yellow/white here and there. Next 2 photos are of him/her as well..

Immediate photo below. 2 of these guys; identical markings. Wing feathers are getting a lot of pattern and color variations of brown.

The next 3 photos. 2 of these guys that look similar. The color in the wing didn't show well in the lighting but they have some grey mixed into their wings and body. Both have, what appear to be tufts appearing and some coloring in their legs.

Next 4 photos of what is the most colorful chick. Has some chubby cheeks forming.

Some coloring and patterns are starting to show. Further input is appreciated.

Sort of a chaotic pattern on this chick. I don't even have a guess (an Ancona cross?) as to gender or breed, and maybe it's as simple as it being a mutt (they were advertised as Ameraucana's, so maybe an EE here? Maybe not? - thoughts?)

A couple that look like this one.

This one resembles the one above somewhat. He/she has some greyish tint throughout it's body that was especially noticeable in it's down before feathering.

I ordered six and got seven. The extra barred rock chick maybe?

2 chicks with this basic pattern, although this one has a lot more red/brown - indicative of gender?

This is the other with the pattern of the one above, minus all of the red/brown. Until last week they looked identical.

And some random shots for coloring and pattern.

Any further speculation as to breed and/or gender would be appreciated. Assuming that most with the green colored legs are EE mixes?

That barred rock is probably a male, and possibly a Black sex-link. The others all look like EE's to me--beards and muffs (most of them), green legs. No gender on them yet. The top chick has some mottling which does occur in crosses, I have quite a few home-made EE's that look like that. Keep posting as they grow!

That barred rock is probably a male, and possibly a Black sex-link. The others all look like EE's to me--beards and muffs (most of them), green legs. No gender on them yet. The top chick has some mottling which does occur in crosses, I have quite a few home-made EE's that look like that. Keep posting as they grow!
I agree on the barred rock(ish) being a rooster, but like always he's the stand-out of the group as far as personality and friendliness (and mischief) so I guess I'll keep him. Really hoping (like we all do) that I don't end up with a ton of roosters. Will add some new shots next week as they continue to grow. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom