Ameraucanas as meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by grizz78, Apr 20, 2009.

1. grizz78

grizz78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    Are Ameraucanas decent meat birds? I have a bunch in the incubator and may not keep them all for layers. How are they as layers?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have never eaten them, so I can't answer that......although mine started laying very late (7+ months) they lay a decent size and almost every day....

3. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    I have only hens.

They vary considerably in size. The big ones seem plenty meaty, the small one notsomuch.

They are fantastic layers. An egg from each almost every day.

4. newfromMN

newfromMN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't know about a meat bird but mine also lay every day. Has anyone ever seen one with a rose comb? I have a banty EE with one....

5. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Great layers; terrible meat birds. I offed my beloved Fancy Boy for too much crowing only to find him to be ALL feathers. He went into a stock pot, then made about one and a half cups of stringy chicken salad. Boy he was a beauty. Still have the hen. She is one of my best layers. I've since bred her with a barred rock and got a pretty hen who lays green eggs also.

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Mine took awhile to lay,but now are pretty good layers.One lays the super jumbo sized eggs.
    Never eat one,but heard they are a little gamey.Someone who likes pheasant may like them. Will

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I've butchered a couple and for their size they make scrawny meat birds. They look bigger than they actually are. I do like the hens green eggs though.

8. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    We butchered a rooster a couple of months ago - it was scrawny and the dark meat was tough as shoe leather, but the breast meat was tasty. Wouldn't recommend them for meat.

9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Mine appear to be late layers too. I've threatened them with freezer camp, but I think they know better and just laugh behind my back.

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I had very similar success trying to make an egg producing chicken breed into a meat bird as I had making a sow's ear into a silk purse. I did manage to make a pretty good chicken soup and great headcheese thaugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by