Ameraucanas as meat birds?

grizz78

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Tiffin
Are Ameraucanas decent meat birds? I have a bunch in the incubator and may not keep them all for layers. How are they as layers?

I have never eaten them, so I can't answer that......although mine started laying very late (7+ months) they lay a decent size and almost every day....

I have only hens.

They vary considerably in size. The big ones seem plenty meaty, the small one notsomuch.

They are fantastic layers. An egg from each almost every day.

I don't know about a meat bird but mine also lay every day. Has anyone ever seen one with a rose comb? I have a banty EE with one....

Great layers; terrible meat birds. I offed my beloved Fancy Boy for too much crowing only to find him to be ALL feathers. He went into a stock pot, then made about one and a half cups of stringy chicken salad. Boy he was a beauty. Still have the hen. She is one of my best layers. I've since bred her with a barred rock and got a pretty hen who lays green eggs also.

Mine took awhile to lay,but now are pretty good layers.One lays the super jumbo sized eggs.
Never eat one,but heard they are a little gamey.Someone who likes pheasant may like them. Will

I've butchered a couple and for their size they make scrawny meat birds. They look bigger than they actually are. I do like the hens green eggs though.

We butchered a rooster a couple of months ago - it was scrawny and the dark meat was tough as shoe leather, but the breast meat was tasty. Wouldn't recommend them for meat.

I had very similar success trying to make an egg producing chicken breed into a meat bird as I had making a sow's ear into a silk purse. I did manage to make a pretty good chicken soup and great headcheese thaugh.

Back
Top Bottom