ameraucanas

hollyk

Songster
11 Years
Nov 21, 2008
Canton, Texas
I am a new member in Canton, Texas and I just ordered 26 Ameraucanas from Ideal Poultry. I have been searching the internet to find out more about their personalities and habits. Sadly, most of the breed sites simply wanted to fuss about the differences between Ameraucanas and "mongrels" sold as Easter Eggers. Have any of you got some good tips and info on this chicken? I am very excited- these are our family's first chicks. Our other 3 ladies were purchased fully grown. Thanks

You'll get Easter Eggers from Ideal - I have two. Very cute little girls, one lays lovely green eggs the other lays a pinkish color.

welcome-byc.gif
big_smile.png

Just a heads up....the Ameraucana enforcers will be posting soon!
lau.gif

There are numerous threads on here with debate/discussions on the Ameraucana, Araucana, and EE chickens. Since you got yours from Ideal, they are EEs. Still very beautiful birds, but not true Ameraucanas.

I will leave it at that since there will definitely be more knowledgeable people than I who will explain it more in depth.

I have had three different groups of "Ameraucanas" from Ideal. The first two groups, although several years apart, were both fairly standard looking types (first group appeared brown-red and the other group appeared silver) and very friendly. This last batch I got were very much a motley bunch and wild as march hares. Of course, they all tasted the same to Mr. Racoon, I imagine. The ones I had that were laying (the previous, standard-looking types) laid consistently a light green to light blue egg. The wild ones never got to laying age.
sad.png

Thanks for the responses. I like to know both the good and the bad ahead of time. Since I am not showing chickens I am quite comfortable with Easter Eggers. As long as they are pretty, eat bugs, and lay eggs- I'm good. The only livestock showing we do is meat goats.:
wink.png

These are my EEgers, I bought them from a feed store, they told me they were ameracauna..
15399_stripe_brownie_and_pepper.jpg

The brown one in the middle has become "my pet chicken"
She comes to me when the roosters are being rowdy
wink.png
(She also lays the biggest eggs out of the three of them)

They -are- sweet..I had hoped for "purebreds" but I got these..And I love em anyways
big_smile.png

I will be looking for some blue eggs to add to my flock come spring time tho..
Here's a pic of my eggs..

Edited to make egg pic smaller.

Quote:

Last edited:
Hi Holly and WELCOME!
Your chicks will likely grow into multi-colored birds that will grow up to lay multi-colored eggs (could be blue, green, or brown).
It was an EE girl from IDEAL that got me interested in blue eggs in the first place (I had a bunch of 'males added for warmth' and one of those males was a GIRL and she layed sky blue eggs). As soon as I saw the eggs, I was hooked on them.
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom