ameraucanas

Just to be fair, Ideal has a disclaimer in their breed description for Ameraucanas stating that they are bred for egg color and may not meet APA or other poultry showing standards.

I raise them because they have a long laying period and the extra eggs are easy to sell as a novelty at our farmers market. And a 5 lb bird is just perfect for my wife & my dinner.

I am glad to hear that most of you have found these EE's to have nice personalities. I never expected Ideal to send me show quality chickens. I have been in the show ring long enough to that the price I was paying was not what a "pure" and perfect breed would cost. I liked the idea of colored eggs and pretty birds. I was also glad to hear about the long laying season. With four kids who like to eat, we go through a lot of eggs! Thanks for all the feed back.
big_smile.png

Holly, welcome to BYC! Enjoy your ladies. I raised Blue/Black true Ameraucanas for awhile and right now I have two blues, one black and one splash Ameraucana, along with a pretty EE girl named June. They are all lovely birds.

Back
Top Bottom