Ameraucanas

5.jpg

This is sweetie a Americauna/Gains mix
untitled.jpg

This is JoJo our Americauna Blue hen.

Americaunas, atleast mine , stay right around 4-5 lbs, not big birds at all. The rooster was in size, perhaps a pound or so.
It doesn't sound like hes mixing them with anything.
Also, Other types of hens will lay green eggs.
We prefer the Americauna because they seem easier to keep with a 3 foot high fence and it can even be above the ground and they are fine (its the whole back yard, lol) Not only that, but if you teach your roo who is the boss,you will never have to deal confrontation (everyone else might- teehee). Believe it or not, I gave my roo to a fellow chicken lover, acidently he and her old roo met and all was fine, they co-exist with their girls.
Those are some reasons for Americaunas, but developing a new line...why not watch his birds for a while and then you will know if you want to be bothered bringing hens back and forth with the chance of illness and quarentine.

Quote:
I hate to bring this up again, but there is no such thing as an Americana, that is a hatcheries made up name for an easter egger. The actual breed is AmerAucana.
smile.png
The standard calls for:

STANDARD WEIGHTS for LARGE FOWL

Cock………………6½ lbs. Hen……………….5½ lbs.

Cockerel………….5½ lbs. Pullet……………..4½ lbs.

The first Roo is not true Ameracuana as it has waddles and Ameracuana Roos have beards not waddles. The second has some funky comb going on not Ameracuana or EE may be a mix though.

Just to be fair to the fellow, he does say he is mixing several breeds to try to create a new breed. I don't want to judge him, I just was curious what others thought about his birds. I agree the comb is really funky on the second picture. His site says something about devils horns being part of the breed, so maybe that comb is intentional.
smile.png

I have decided from some wise words last night to go ahead, get an incubator and try hatching eggs to get the birds I want, instead of trying to buy local and adjust what I want to what is available in my neck of the woods. It was a very helpful process to throw this out here and get some feedback.

Quote:
Not judging him but he does need to be informed that what he has is not a bantam breed. Save him some grief later if he knew 4-6 lbs is not a bantam not even a large bantam weighs near that.

I also notice that he misspells Ameraucana on his website, not a good sign...

I agree with the consensus, here. If you want Ameraucanas, there are good places to start with good stock. It sounds like this guy is wanting to create another breed, and is wanting to be able to rehome his culls by having someone else raise the babies, so he can just pick out the ones that meet his standards for breeding, later.

This isn't even a good idea, were he billing the chickens as backyard "barnies" rather than as bantam "Americanas," though. He rightly should keep all those birds he gathers quarantined separately for a month, at least, and he has no control over the conditions his breeders are raised in! That's not smart. Seems he hasn't thought it through very well. I hope his birds don't get sick.

sad.png

I was struggling because I have been unable to find the birds locally that I wanted. Ultimately after I posted this thread, I decided to just go ahead, get the incubator and get some hatchinglings from some "good eggs" (some fine breeders here). So I should start incubating in about 2 weeks. I am very excited.

I do agree with your points, Windy.

A couple thoughts on this discussion..

When you post pics of someone elses birds without their permission, it is only appropriate to post the resource (whether that be his website or where you obtained the pics from). It is best to ask for permission before posting pics that belong to someone else.

For those who say these roos cannot be an EE because of their comb - an EE can look like anything because it is a cross bred mutt. Those roos very well could be considered EEs, since there is no standard for them.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom