Ameraucanas

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
Hi oh wise ones.

I have a question about Ameraucanas. I know a guy who is raising Bantams. He appears to be trying to develop a specific new breed. He says his birds will be 4-5 lbs full grown. I can buy some, or take 10, and give 3 back in a year. I think he is trying to select the birds he wants for his line, without the upkeep, which I am fine with.

I want to have a colored egg business so am very interested in these birds, and I would like to have a nice line of bird to sell.

Any advice? And how would this size bantam do with my large sized flock of barred rocks, red stars, orps, etc and EEs?

Thanks.
jumpy.gif

Is he trying to develop a new color variety of bantam Ameraucanas, or is he trying to develop bantam Ameraucanas in general?? There are already several varieties of bantam Ameraucanas available. The standard for large fowl Ameraucana hens is 5 1/2 lbs., so 4 - 5 lbs for a bantam is, well, not really a bantam for that breed.... I think the standard for bantam hens is 26 oz? So, just a little more than 2 1/2 lbs!

I guess if this person is trying to develop a new color and has had to use large fowl birds to get the color they want, and is then going to work on size later, that might make sense...but if it's good quality of egg color you want, you might be better off going with one of the more established color varieties.

I think you might do better to seek out someone from the Ameraucana Breeder's Club for your stock, if it is true Ameraucana bantams that you want. Pips&Peeps from this board has nice Ameraucanas, but I believe all she has is large fowl. I think maybe Sara or Shaffer (sp?) on the board has bantams?? But I'm not sure, just going by my memory (which often fails me
lol.png
) of posts I've read. Regardless, I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you some more info! Good luck!
big_smile.png

I agree with Crunchie, the size issue throws me off on this. It takes several years of breeding and showing and other technical aspects to get a different color variety recognized. The general size and attributes of LF or bantam ameraucanas is not going to change anytime soon.

If you want to sell eggs his unwanted pullets would be ok to buy if the egg size is up to standard. You have to remember that if he is breeding for bantams, then the eggs may be smaller.

But if you want nice stock to sell, you should get your start from one of the breeders of the ameraucana breeders club. And do your research on breeding and color lines.

EE's are pretty easy to come by and I wouldn't spend any extra money on this guy's culls.

I'm not actually stuck on wanting Bantams, Chrunchie. I would like to have some nice birds, but am primarily interested in building up a flock for a colored egg business.

I haven't got the guts yet to hatch so I have to buy chicks, and obviously that needs to be local. He lives about 1/2 hour away. He is working on a large bantam breed.

Here is a description from his website

"We are currently developing a breed named the 'Mad
Hatter'. These interesting large bantams have a crest
similar to the polish standard birds. All of their traits leave
them with a very distinguished look, including 'devil horns',
beards, crests, feathered legs and very striking red and
green plumage."

Thoughts anyone?

Jean, thanks for your thoughts. His deal is, we can take 10 chicks, he'll come back and take 3 back next year. No cost for us, other than the feed for the 3 he takes back. I am not sure I want to do this.

I did look at the Ameraucana Breeders Club website, but man, they all seem to be done this year.
I am interested in getting into a good breed of a bird, in case we do some 4H stuff. I have 3 kiddos.

Last edited by a moderator:
hu.gif
Ok, now I'm really confused!
lol.png
Bear with me, horsegirl.

So, is he trying to breed these crested birds to also lay a colored egg?? What his web site is describing isn't anywhere close to an Ameraucana...unless he's got some EE in there so that the birds lay a colored egg. But with all of those breeds (sounds like they are mostly Polish and/or Sultan??) you wouldn't get a nicely colored egg--not blue-green, anyway.

And, as far as your business goes--do you mean eggs for eating? Or eggs for hatching?

If you just want laying hens for table eggs, I would question the productivity of the cross. Many Polish are not known for their egg-laying abilities, so you may end up spending more money to feed these hens who might not "pull their own weight", so to speak. I'm not saying they won't be good layers--some lines of Polish are (my white crested blacks, from show lines, put my hatchery laying hens to shame!)--but most are not.

I see you might want 4-h birds for your kiddos--these birds would not be good for that--you really want pure breds from a breeder to avoid disapointment if your kids are going to show them.

Yes, most breeders are all done for the year. You might have some luck in the fall, some breeders slim down on their breeders before winter. I know you said don't want to hatch, but you could easily get some eggs in the fall. Once things cool down again, a lot of breeders will ship eggs again.

Anything this guy gives you won't be showable.

Sounds like he is crossing a crevecoeur with something. I don't know where the ameraucana comes in.

I am still selling hatching eggs and if you are close enough can set chicks too. I think Lisa Cree still has some available.

If you get in touch with people on the ABC breeders list, you may be able to find birds at the end of summer.

The black and the blue varieties of ameraucanas are the best layers in my flock and also have the best blue egg color.

Well, see? This is why I come here. So many of you know what the hello you are talking about. I don't. {{{{blush}}}}} His site says his birds lay blue or bluegreen eggs of medium size. He specificially says not olive. He claims to have araucanas as well.

I agree with Jean. My blue Ameraucana is a fantastic layer. Her black daughter started laying yesterday and lays a gorgeous color egg so far. Mine are from Cree lines at least on one side of the family. That last one is a strange looking bird! Has the comb similar to a LaFleche.

Last edited:
You three are so helpful.

Maybe I just need to be brave and try hatching. That is really the only way I am going to get the birds I want, isn't it?

Ok, I think I will stick with your advice and not go this route.

What do you think about the look of these two roos?

I know! That comb is interesting......

Back
Top Bottom