American Buff Geese Hatching Soon

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
So if I did my math right my geese are supposed to be hatching on Easter Sunday; however, Golly has been standing guard over her in the doorway to the house she's nesting in since yesterday afternoon. He was in the doorway all night standing, alert. Is it possible he is aware the goslings are pipping and is standing guard over her and the babies? Does anyone else's gander do that?

Also I was going to prep the pen for babies, lower food bowl and water areas, but what all do you do to make sure your geese are successful when raising their own goslings?

Photo taken this morning:

C4D9E654-CFF4-430E-855D-6D81F64E0B36.jpeg

Well I've answered my own question...

I have goslings! I can't get close enough to actually count how many. He's parked in front of the open doorway like a big speed bump and won't let them out into the yard yet. I'm pretty sure I could make out five or six. They are absolutely the cutest things ever! I'll upload a couple of really zoomed in pictures.

They really have been phenomenal parents. Every once in a while they'll step on one, but they are always doting over them. Thankfully Golly and I have not had any altercations. He even came over and aggressively loved on me, like hissed all the way up and then asked for cuddles. They are extra cautious of anything out of place. And have zero tolerance for any of the birds, bar "Uncle" Sterling, that extra Orpington male in the photos. He gives them a wide berth, but Golly doesn't go after him like he does everything else.

Back
Top Bottom