American Bulldog

Quote:
No kidding about getting them without research or using common sense in raising them. In the obedience classes I attended... this lady brought in this highly aggressive, not fixed, male american bulldog. This dog thought he was an alpha and had the strength to prove it. This woman brought the dog with only a 3 inch wide leather buckle collar (with studs!) around its neck. No choke chain, no prong collar, not even the cloth martingale collar that the rest of us used during training.

She said that she had sent the dog off to be professionally trained as a "protection dog".. and was now bringing it in for obedience training.
idunno.gif
This dog started 6 fights over the course of the class and walked away bloodied by the gentlest dog in the class (a long-haired german shepard that was one of the few trusted to pair off with my dog, Diamond, who had aggression issues.). I think the dog weighed twice what she did and had absolutely no respect for her. It took two of the trainers to finally get him under control (one wrapping a leash back near his hindquarters to put pressure on his male parts.. she called it "p**** control".)

After that one class the lady never came back. Now, is that an example of the breed? Not neccesarily, but it was certainly an example of ignorant dog ownership and lack of research towards control.

Quote:
You are so right!! My Mya is from weight pull lines, her brothers record is 10,000 pounds, her mom is a UKC record holder on rail I believe, but it might have been snow. It sounds like you really put a lot of thought into your dog, who is very pretty, by the way!! I love mine, but they aren't perfect for every one. Love what you said about them!!

Thank you all!
My Lilly is ten yo. she is still like a puppy. She weighs a tad over 100lbs. Her Dad weighed 165. She is great with any living thing. She was once attacked by a Lab and cowered and went down on her stomach and the dog tore a hole in her. This took place in the house and there were a lot of people around including children. She is a non-violent being.
She is not Bully type. Although the breeder I got her from is now going in that direction. I love them all.
A pit bull is bred for Am BD and Staffordshire terrier. Nearly all the bull breeds have Am Bull dog in the ancestry....the Mother of all Bull Dogs! They were brought to Georgia in the 1700's with the penal colonies. They also brought butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. They breed is from ancient English dogs.
thank you all....you are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom