1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

American Game behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DollDoctor, Oct 3, 2008.

1. DollDoctor

DollDoctor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    York County, Maine
    I went to the Deerfield Fair here in NH last week and enjoyed looking at the large chicken competition. One thing I noticed that made me curious. There were a couple of American Game cocks and they were both standing on one leg, with the other leg tucked up underneath them. I did not see any of the other birds doing this. What is this about? Some type of fighting posture? They were in adjacent cages. Thanks for any input!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Both my roosters do it and neither of them are fighting roosters ( well no more that any other rooster ) We call it the "captian morgan stand" LOL !!!! I think its just a rooster thing, maybe a "i'm the man" thing !!!!!

also..... [​IMG]

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    All chickens do this, roosters and hens alike. It's kinda like how if you are standing around all day, and shift your weight back and forth between your legs to rest them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by