American game coloration

I just got me a nice redquil bull stag.
PS: The hen you are calling a "ginger" does n ot look at all like the "pumpkin" hens. They tend to be light gold with darker tails.

The best thing to do is when you collect her eggs leave one in there or put a golf ball in it so she will keep laying in that nest.
VComb - I know it has been a couple years since you posted the picture of your redquill game hen, but she looks just like the game hen I have. She is 100% free range as I only have a small chicken tractor, but a wooded/tropical brush lot adjacent to my property. I have some questions about collecting eggs from them. Every week I have to perform a stake out to find the eggs she's been laying that week. Once I find them, she makes a new nest in a totally different location. Can I 'train' her to lay in a nesting box I provide for her? Have you had any luck with that? A month ago, I couldn't find her nest for 2 weeks and she went broody. After another 2 weeks, I finally caught her going back after her daily water break from sitting and got 12 eggs from her nest. I don't want that to happen again. There is no rooster to make fertile eggs, so those 12 just went rotten. We are attached to Henny Penny now and want to do what's best for her. I have a buff orpington and speckled sussex that jump on her back and peck unmercifully at her neck and body. She completely submits to them, but sometimes cries out. My cochin banties tho - she dominates and I worry will seriously hurt them. I am seriously considering building a pen just for her, so I can get her eggs without going on a weekly egg-hunting trip through the Florida brush. Thanks for any and all advice. M.C.
idunno.gif

sorry for a very late reply.
well these names are based on the color of the feathers of the fighting male chickens in the philippine cockpit.

to mcnheff
well for me, the best thing you can do for now is to have her a male this is of nearly the same size and activity, preferably an oldr male. have them both tied up separately, near enough not to peck each other for 2-3days. then put them in a cage/pen for a week, with a nestbox off the ground, well game birds are attracted to high nests, with an egg or two. after then you can free them on the field. the good thing is that the hen will go back to lay eggs on the same nestbox. but be sure that everytime u collect eggs always leave two or three eggs. this will make the hen hunt for this location to lay. always remember to left the surrounding of the nestbox undisturbed or away from distractions that could threaten the hen away.
hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom