Backyard Old English Game Bantam Colors

Bantams182

Chirping
Jan 7, 2024
Central Alabama
I don't have a show quality bird in our coop, probably most would call Mutts, they are small and good feathering, just haven't been breed to the standards, they are off of originally BB red OEBG, but there are Ginger color with yellow legs, some of the pullets seem to be BB red with blue legs. I am new with them, probably want really get anything but off colored birds at best. But you don't know unless you ask. Is there anyway to tell what you really have as far as colors or what you will get when breeding or how to or what to call the colors after hatching,?

Yes.
If you need some guidance on what colors you have, would you like to post some pictures of the birds in question?
Identifying chick colors is not my strong suit, though. Chicks can be deceptive, and yoh never really know what you have colorwise until they grow up! (Unless you have a well-established line.)

Pullet #1 OEGB

Attachments

• IMG_20240110_104919173~2.jpg
    IMG_20240110_104919173~2.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 11
Yes.
If you need some guidance on what colors you have, would you like to post some pictures of the birds in question?
Identifying chick colors is not my strong suit, though. Chicks can be deceptive, and yoh never really know what you have colorwise until they grow up! (Unless you have a well-established line.)
All pullets are Old English Game Bantams , from Black Breasted Red, pullet #1 looks more Ginger Red with yellow legs, also #3 has yellow legs. #2#4#5 have blue legs, #6 has blue but a tint of yellow legs. Any help with colors or breed description will be truly appreciated, I am a novice with the bantams have only raised large breed backyard chickens. We decided to go strictly Bantams and have enjoyed our decision.

All pullets are Old English Game Bantams , from Black Breasted Red, pullet #1 looks more Ginger Red with yellow legs, also #3 has yellow legs. #2#4#5 have blue legs, #6 has blue but a tint of yellow legs. Any help with colors or breed description will be truly appreciated, I am a novice with the bantams have only raised large breed backyard chickens. We decided to go strictly Bantams and have enjoyed our decision.
Well, first of all, if you are looking to breed to the Standard, yellow legs are to be thrown out. Not only is it a disqualification, it is also a recessive gene which means that even if the bird appears to have white shanks (which is what the Standard calls for in Black Breasted Red) it can carry the gene.
Slate legs are also sexlinked recessive. Willow legs are caused by the interaction of slate shanks and yellow skin, so your green-legged girl somehow managed to get both the wrong genes.
Ginger Reds are to have slate legs.
Pullets 2 and 4 are brown red.
Pullet 5 appears to be brown red except she has some stippling which makes me think she carries one copy of the duckwing gene. (Brown red in genetics terms would be gold birchen and black breasted red in genetics terms would be red duckwing.)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are mostly mutts (though it seems you already knew that.)
I'm surprised the BBR have yellow skin when they appear to be so small and typey and have good hard feathers, which would seem to indicate ancestors of quality.

Back
Top Bottom