Old english game differences

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i am a bit confused about the old english game and the old english game oxford type.

Apparently they are descended from a single breed however in the UK the breeders from oxford decided to branch away and create a separate type.

My question now is around the dubbing that occurs. For those who dont know it involves cutting off the comb and wattles of the main bird in order to give it a more sharper appearance in accordance to breed standards. Purely aesthetical.

Is the OEGB original one not dubbed and oxford type dubbed? Can someone please explain the differences please.

Both are dubbed because the fighting birds were originally dubbed so other birds didn’t grab their fleshy bits in battle.

So whats the difference between the 2 ? I struggle to tell
Wikipedia
When The Old English Game Club split in the 1930s two types of Old English Game were created, The Carlisle and The Oxford. The Carlisle has different qualities from the Oxford, such as being heavier, having a larger breast and a horizontal back.[3]
And the Old English found in the US is a different type (more similar to the Oxford but with a more horizontal back.)

So whats the difference between the 2 ? I struggle to tell

I never heard of them before you asked your question, but then I found a website with a few photos:
https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/hard-feather/
They have both a Carlisle Old English Game and an Oxford Old English Game, along with a few other kinds of "game" on that page.

They explain the differences: "The Old English Game Club split in about 1930 as there was already a divergence of birds being shown with larger breasted, horizontally backed, exhibition-type birds tending to win, and breeders of these formed the Carlisle Club, developing only some of the original colours. Breeders of the original type, wherein the back is at 45° to the ground, maintained the well-balanced, close-heeled, athletic fighting fowl, and formed the Oxford Club, retaining over 30 colours."
^That section is on the pages for both varieties:
https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/hard-feather/carlisle-old-english-game/
https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/hard-feather/oxford-old-english-game/

Best way I can explain the difference is the Oxfords are the original old English gamefowl from history, and are also the direct forefather of American gamefowl. While Carlisles are a designer breed that has had a lot of the fight drive bred out of them. They look quite a bit different.

Oxford
IMG_6672.jpeg

Carlisle
IMG_6671.jpeg

I would argue that the Oxfords are more natural. The Carlisles are an amalgamation of bankivoid and oriental traits.

Best way I can explain the difference is the Oxfords are the original old English gamefowl from history, and are also the direct forefather of American gamefowl. While Carlisles are a designer breed that has had a lot of the fight drive bred out of them. They look quite a bit different.

OxfordView attachment 3635504

CarlisleView attachment 3635505

I would argue that the Oxfords are more natural. The Carlisles are an amalgamation of bankivoid and oriental traits.
Are the Carlisle modern games then? Or are those somehow different other than the legs?

Are the Carlisle modern games then? Or are those somehow different other than the legs?
I think they are technically different than modern games, but to my mind, they’re pretty much the same thing. I think it was a similar breeding plan that created them. Those storky looking legs, shorter wings, and tight feathers are coming from the oriental game side of the genetics that both the Carlisle and the modern game have. I think both have had the fight drive deadened considerably.

Carlisle have a much broader and muscular breast. Modern Game aren’t supposed to lack width and muscularity but they are first and foremost the “slender” breed.
Edit: plus the low, whippy tail

Last edited:
Brits seem to like to do that (produce tight-feathered, leggy birds) a lot. See Modern Langshans (Society Langshans.)

Back
Top Bottom