Colors

Bantams182

Chirping
Jan 7, 2024
Central Alabama
#1 What colors would you get breeding a Ginger red to a BB red? #2 What colors breeding a Self Blue to a BB red? #3 What colors would you get breeding a Self Blue to a Ginger red?

Self Blue is also called lavender (different names in different breeds.)
It is caused by the recessive gene called "lavender" on a chicken that otherwise has the genes to have completely black feathers.

Breeding Self Blue to either of those other colors will give black chicks. The chicks will carry the lavender gene but not show it. The chicks might show some leakage of other colors as they grow up.

I do not know about Ginger Red x Black Breasted Red.

Self Blue is also called lavender (different names in different breeds.)
It is caused by the recessive gene called "lavender" on a chicken that otherwise has the genes to have completely black feathers.

Breeding Self Blue to either of those other colors will give black chicks. The chicks will carry the lavender gene but not show it. The chicks might show some leakage of other colors as they grow up.

I do not know about Ginger Red x Black Breasted Red.
If you took the black chick from that breeding and breed back to a Self Blue is there a good chance to have Self Blue offspring? I have Self Blue cockerels but no Self Blue pullets, hoping this might help the chances in getting Self Blue pullets.

If you took the black chick from that breeding and breed back to a Self Blue is there a good chance to have Self Blue offspring? I have Self Blue cockerels but no Self Blue pullets, hoping this might help the chances in getting Self Blue pullets.
Yes, after you have chicks with one Self Blue parent, you can breed them to a Self Blue and get about 50% Self Blue chicks. The other 50% of chicks should be black (but carrying the lavender gene, so they also have a chance to produce Self Blue offspring if you breed them to a Self Blue.)

With the ones that are a mix of Self Blue and something else, breeding them to each other should also give a chance of Self Blue chicks (but only about 25% chance, so not as good as breeding to a Self Blue.)

Yes, after you have chicks with one Self Blue parent, you can breed them to a Self Blue and get about 50% Self Blue chicks. The other 50% of chicks should be black (but carrying the lavender gene, so they also have a chance to produce Self Blue offspring if you breed them to a Self Blue.)

With the ones that are a mix of Self Blue and something else, breeding them to each other should also give a chance of Self Blue chicks (but only about 25% chance, so not as good as breeding to a Self Blue.)
Thank you this helps me so much, I appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom