American Game questions

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
I've tried out a variety of breeds to see what one(s) would best meet my needs. I want to keep some chickens for eggs (I have a separate meat flock) that are good free-rangers, efficient with feed, and tolerant of the summer heat out here in the desert, as well as able to escape predators fairly well. I've tried Plymouth Rocks, Old English Game, Cornish Game, Cochins, Brahmas, and Easter Eggers...but so far I have been most impressed by a trio of American Games I got from a local farm. They are not laying yet, but they require very little feed to keep in good condition, and are running around at full speed while the others are panting in the shade during hot weather. Not to mention they are just plain beautiful birds, and very fun to watch because of how much attitude they have. I am thinking of going back to the place I got them and getting more, this line of birds has apparently been running wild on this farm for about 40 years with no interference from humans, so they should be very well adapted to living in the desert. The only issue seems to be keeping them penned up, the ones I already have are always escaping the coop when I want them inside. That could get to be a problem if they don't want to lay in the coop!

I can't find much information on their laying habits, as they are not usually kept for egg laying. I know they aren't the best layers, they won't ever rival a sexlink or leghorn, but I can sacrifice some of that for being affordable and hardy, since they eat less I can keep a bigger number of birds to make the number of eggs I need. (I will also have some of other breeds too) I have seen that they will only lay from late spring to mid summer, is that true? About how many eggs on average do they lay per week? Would keeping artificial light on them in the winter make them lay later into the year? I know they are good at being broody, at least this particular line is, and I like that idea also.

The pullet will lay a egg a day...older hen a egg every other day. they lay good eggs little smaller. If out they are the best at freeranging , but great at hiding their nest. Then coming back later with a bunch of chicks. They do all go broody , so Don't lay then, another reason they don't produce the number of eggs as some other breeds. Another down side rooster will kill each other. even father and son.

Myself think they are the best mother ,best at free ranging, best protecter of hens....Oh yes the BEST looking of all roosters.

chicken013.jpg
chicken024.jpg
snow003-1.jpg

Quote:
I agree with what deerman said.
The best bird you will ever have is American Game. If you collect there eggs every day they will lay as many if not more eggs than production breeds (including sex-links and leghorns).
I had a pen of Red Sex-links and White Leghorns just for eggs [note I said had
wink.png
], My wife and I decided to sell the all and keep more game hens. I get more eggs from my game hens and they are a lot more harder.

Chris

I also agree with Chris and deerman, all my grandparents ever had was Games free ranging their farm and from what you were describing that you were looking for in a bird, American Games should be perfect, they always seemed to be great year round layers, and supplied them with plenty of eggs that were just a little smaller than regular LF eggs but thats to be expected, and they were always great at hatching and raising their broods one free range with no help.

Well, I don't know that I needed any more encouragement, but you've all talked me into them.
big_smile.png

They are gorgeous, the ones I have now are Wheaten, but the farm also had a few really beautiful spotty-colored ones I really admired. I've got one cockerel already, and he gets along ok with my Old English cockerel, but I don't plan on keeping any more males than those two for right now. I've got a few Plymouth Rocks and Easter Eggers that I guess will fill in any shortage of eggs if too many games are broody and not laying.

Here's my cockerel that I have now. I'm trying to decide on a name for him.
SANY0403.jpg

Quote:
I have Games, but just because I know they can take anything that's thrown at them.

However I have no idea what I have. LOL Just haven't gotten that much into them. I love them though. I think Game roos are the best. So good with people, but when I lost my favorite and last one I haven't gotten another one.

I have a question about breeds.

3 of my girls look like the ones in your pictures. Are they a certain breed or are they mixed?

I need to see pics of the other 4 colors I have. 2 completely different and 2 that are the same, but darker and some are a little lacy.

OH well. Just wanted to check and find out what these are.

The hens pictured above are American game, I think that color is called Wheaten. If you didn't get yours from a breeder, there's probably no telling if they are purebred or if they've had other things mixed in, I'm sure mine are not completely pure, but to me that's not a big issue, they're just for production at my place.

If you've got pictures of yours, you could share them and see what people think. I'm not an expert on them, but I know other people on here are.

American Games are by far my favorite breed and everything that has been said about them is true. Extremely hardy and self sufficient, and just awesome mothers. They will hide their nests as others have said and will yield lots of unexpected chicks so you have to watch them pretty close. I have a Wheaton hen that snuck out 6 chicks and she taught them to hide under our Big Box Elders during the day to avoid the resident Coopers Hawk and she is still watching over them at four months old. I too found a farm with free ranging games and my Ginger Rooster is the king of the property, keeps everyone in line and is very attentive to his hens. The only thing is he has a walnut comb and small waddels so I didn't have to dub him. I now graduated to pure bred Games and have a Crele and a couple of Brown Reds that are really shaping up to be gorgeous.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have a pic of the Ginger roo ? And is this a Ginger Red or Silver Ginger. ? I would like to eventually have Brown Reds, Pumkin Hulseys, Greys, and Silver Gingers but I dont know where to get Silver Gingers. Anyone know where I can get some affordable eggs ?

Quote:
Do you have a pic of the Ginger roo ? And is this a Ginger Red or Silver Ginger. ? I would like to eventually have Brown Reds, Pumkin Hulseys, Greys, and Silver Gingers but I dont know where to get Silver Gingers. Anyone know where I can get some affordable eggs ?

Well you have alot to choose from in the Greys some harder than others to get your hands on.

Greys --
Bumblefoot Grey
English Grays
Flarry Eye
Frost Grey
Goode Grey
Harold Brown Grey Hatch
Law Grey
Marsh Speeders
Perfection Grey
Regular Grey
Toppy Grey