American Gamefowl Thread!!!!

We have Gamefowl that a neighbor left behind along with some Easter Eggers. I'm not sure what type Gamefowl they are though. Would someone on this thread be able to help me if I posted pictures of them or could someone point me to the correct forum thread for that?

My Pumpkin cross

All appear to be a mix and do not repressent a breed of chicken or strain of game. Thus you will likely be trying to determine the color variant. That is best addressed with folks into color genetics.
How did you determine that they were not Gamefowl chickens? They look like game. I know that my neighbor got them from Cackle Hatchery as chicks and Cackle Hatchery has Gamefowl.

How did you determine that they were not Gamefowl chickens? They look like game. I know that my neighbor got them from Cackle Hatchery as chicks and Cackle Hatchery has Gamefowl.

Those my friend are not real games that cackle or any hatchery has. They look to me like they are crosses of maybe games and layers or maybe OEG. But to me they don't look a lot like American gamefowl. May not be true just my opinion based on the pic.
And it looks like you have several roosters in one pen. If they where games you would prababy find them dead the next day.

Last edited:
Those my friend are not real games that cackle or any hatchery has. They look to me like they are crosses of maybe games and layers or maybe OEG. But to me they don't look a lot like American gamefowl. May not be true just my opinion based on the pic.
And it looks like you have several roosters in one pen. If they where games you would prababy find them dead the next day.
No they are in several different pens. I do let them mingle and yes they do get in scraps. They free range mostly so that seems to help. I do not dub my roosters maybe that is throwing you off. I will see if I can get in touch with the original owner and find out where he got them from. He had a poultry business here and went to many auctions. They had to move back to NC because of job closing. He raised Gamefowl, Top hats (what he called them) I think they are really called Polish and Ameraucana. I know that he created EE by crossing the Ameraucana roosters with other hens but he keep all of his Game in separate pens with matching hens, usually two hens per rooster. I thought that my youngest rooster looked a lot like the Kelso Game. Is it certain colors on him that makes it not so?

I CAN NOT get him to be still long enough for a picture. UGH! I will try again with another camera I have that is supposed to take pictures of movement. He has the aradecent feathers that turn different colors when the sun light hits them. He also has the white fluff looking feathers at the top base of his tail like pictures of the Kelso Game. That is why I though he might be one. So if he isn't but he looks similar then he could be a Kelso mix??

They were fighting and he jumped up on the door yesterday. I had another one jump up on top of the barn when something scared him. They are so very flighty.

Back
Top Bottom