American Reza (Pakistani) Asil

These are the hens I'm deciding between for the cross stag.
1000005544.jpg

This one is quite small, but has a wide shape and pearl eyes. Her feet skew towards being ducktoed.
1000005546.jpg

This pullet is my largest, but is a bit narrow with no pearl eyes. Her feet are better.

I may hatch from both of them, though I suspect I'll regret spreading myself too thin.

These are the hens I'm deciding between for the cross stag.
View attachment 3715288
This one is quite small, but has a wide shape and pearl eyes. Her feet skew towards being ducktoed.
View attachment 3715292
This pullet is my largest, but is a bit narrow with no pearl eyes. Her feet are better.

I may hatch from both of them, though I suspect I'll regret spreading myself too thin.

Does the second pullet have a missing toenail? If so, did she lose it, or was she always without it?

Also, the first hen has a better comb, imo. The big girl has a small spike on the back. I'm happier with the first one, except those dang feet may haunt me for years.

Alright, so I don't feel quite as bad not having good pearl eyes. I've got so much work ahead of me. I just picked up a Malay/Sumatra mixed pair that I'm going to grade in to get black, gypsy face and size. The results of these two crossed over that Asil stag and one decent hen I have will determine which line I go with. Of course, it'll take a couple seasons to tease out the genetics hiding in that cross.View attachment 3715277View attachment 3715276

Attachments

• IMG_3786.jpeg
    IMG_3786.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Your birds are much nicer than mine, Foxfire. I'll be ten years into this before I get anything decent.
Well thank you, I love these fowl, though they bring their challenges in terms of breeding and raising. My asils are not from a hatchery, had the grey line since 2011-12 or so, and had to “bring them back” with some red Pakistani Asil I’ve acquired.

If your goal is to breed asil, you should find some quality asil to begin with, or at least a quality, real asil hen. Base the line off her to build a family for yourself.

You're very welcome.

I had some decent birds from a guy in Maine at one point, before I had a clue how to breed. I don't think they were yours even though they were wheaten as some of yours are. I had to leave them in NH and they're gone now.

I am extremely hesitant to buy hatching eggs or birds because of the expense combined with complete uncertainty of the results. I've seen pretty poor stuff pawned off as pure. At least at the hatchery you're not out tons of money. So, as much as I'd love to start with the good stuff, I don't think it's meant to be. Luckily, I love to eat chicken.

You're very welcome.

I had some decent birds from a guy in Maine at one point, before I had a clue how to breed. I don't think they were yours even though they were wheaten as some of yours are. I had to leave them in NH and they're gone now.

I am extremely hesitant to buy hatching eggs or birds because of the expense combined with complete uncertainty of the results. I've seen pretty poor stuff pawned off as pure. At least at the hatchery you're not out tons of money. So, as much as I'd love to start with the good stuff, I don't think it's meant to be. Luckily, I love to eat chicken.
I am curious about the fowl from Maine, that’s where I live.

I’m also not sure how to respond to your experience. I cold call folks, or meet breeders in person, and have never really had bad luck doing this. Some of these folks become friends. If someone is knowledgeable and sounds honest, and you like how they speak on their fowl better yet like what you see and can see several generations, chances are you're investing in some good fowl for yourself. Though hatching fertile, shipped eggs is difficult, it’s possible, and can still bring quality chicks to your place. I recommend buying a quality bird from a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom