American serama thread!

I just got a new job and so haven't really figured out what my plan is with housing Taco as he is currently free ranging my house lol.
I was wondering - I left the lid off the feed tub all day so he would have access to it - I usually just let him in 3 times a day to eat what he wants and then close it back up - and when I got home he is definitely dust bathing in the feed. Is this bad? I mean I would think he's pretty darn clean as he got bathed and now hasn't left the house. He wears a diaper so he's not pooping in it either.
Just thought I would see what you guys think
I think dust bathing is good, clean (sort of) chicken fun. It's less about cleanliness for them, and more about fun. If it were me, and he wasn't making a big mess, I would let him enjoy his little dust baths.

Sorry about disappearing on everyone! I haven't gotten much sleep the past couple nights, and today I was preoccupied with some storms coming through. The good news is, I GOT FOUR CHICKS! I ended up having to assist the little guy that pipped in the middle of his egg. He hadn't made any progress in about 36 hours, so I gently started zipping for him with a tiny pair of blunt tweezers. Absolutely no blood, and his yolk was completely absorbed, so he was ready to come out. He's quite happy and healthy now! After everyone was hatched and removed from the incubator, I quickly candled to see if anyone else was alive. Looks like four of the eggs quit around day 19, and in the last egg the poor chick was positioned upside down and wasn't able to pip. So, no more eggs left... but four healthy chicks just blows my mind! I was going to be ecstatic just getting one to hatch! I'll likely keep all four for a week or two to make sure they're healthy and to see who bonds with me the most, then I'll find homes for the ones I can't keep. Now for the chick-pics! The one on the left in this last photo just hatched this morning, a full day after the others. He hasn't completely fluffed out yet, which is why he looks a little funky. Everyone is being very nice to him though, and of course they're all getting a ton of love from me. :love
My little Raine got stuck in the shell in the middle of zipping. I ended up helping her, and, like you, she was totally ready to hatch, no blood, veins, or yolk, she just got stuck! Today she is my best chicken friend. Here she is tonight:
She looked very similar to your chick, with that gooish stuff on the fluff... I heard it is cause by being stuck in the shell too long? Not sure if this is true or not. BTW, love your babies!

Sorry about disappearing on everyone! I haven't gotten much sleep the past couple nights, and today I was preoccupied with some storms coming through. The good news is, I GOT FOUR CHICKS! I ended up having to assist the little guy that pipped in the middle of his egg. He hadn't made any progress in about 36 hours, so I gently started zipping for him with a tiny pair of blunt tweezers. Absolutely no blood, and his yolk was completely absorbed, so he was ready to come out. He's quite happy and healthy now!

After everyone was hatched and removed from the incubator, I quickly candled to see if anyone else was alive. Looks like four of the eggs quit around day 19, and in the last egg the poor chick was positioned upside down and wasn't able to pip. So, no more eggs left... but four healthy chicks just blows my mind! I was going to be ecstatic just getting one to hatch! I'll likely keep all four for a week or two to make sure they're healthy and to see who bonds with me the most, then I'll find homes for the ones I can't keep.

Now for the chick-pics!

The one on the left in this last photo just hatched this morning, a full day after the others. He hasn't completely fluffed out yet, which is why he looks a little funky. Everyone is being very nice to him though, and of course they're all getting a ton of love from me.
love.gif
OMG! mabe wait 3 weeks and se which ones are hens and which ones are roosters! i hatched the same color as that black one! this is what she looked like and looks like! she is from charlie!

oh and to take care of the feathers that didnt fluff! what i did was get one of those newborn brushes with the very soft bristols, and i brushed it uppright after dapping it with water. keep them until they have some feathers because you might have a silkied in their! those are super soft as adults and dont really fly! charlie wanted to know how you eggs were doing, he told me to tell you to shoot him and email when they hatched! good Job whith that hatch! my fist hatch ever was with charlies eggs and i only got 2/16. when i got better at it i hatchede 14/18! good luck!

One thing to consider when you have a rooster whose attitude is definitely sub-par is that this breed was developed not only to be small and gorgeous, but also incredibly well tempered and mannered. A rooster who will 'fight to the death' is NOT something I would ever breed into my lines--it's not typical of the breed and is totally contrary to what the Serama temperament should be.

Quote: Get chicks. But I you go to the previous page, I told how to put any adult chickens together.
Good luck! Have fun!
So if I get them all together as chicks, they'll all get along?
woot.gif

~~McFuzz

One thing to consider when you have a rooster whose attitude is definitely sub-par is that this breed was developed not only to be small and gorgeous, but also incredibly well tempered and mannered. A rooster who will 'fight to the death' is NOT something I would ever breed into my lines--it's not typical of the breed and is totally contrary to what the Serama temperament should be.
Thank You, I had not thought of it that way.........................
smile.png

Good advice. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom