American serama thread!

Just got the first eggs today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shes only 4 and a quarter month old!!!!! And it was Fertile!!!!!!!!!! the only rooster i have is like 2 and a half months old though???? And you can start sexing serama chicks at about 2 - 3 weeks old! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
D.gif

this is actually a small flower pot (Nest Box)!

I have a question about rooster temperament. Mostly Donut is fine and friendly, but occasionally gets a bit startled and will peck your hand. I have been picking him up and holding him when he does this, but am wondering if there are any tips for encouraging good behavior. Thanks!
frow.gif
I do the same thing. I pick them up and just hold them. All the while talking to them in a soothing voice and rubbing their heads and backs.

I live in NE Oklahoma folks and we have some cold winters from time to time, sub-zero (Heck in the negative teens occasionally) and up to 115deg F some summers for weeks on end. I'm just wondering what kind of winter and summer extremes these little birds can tolerate? What could I do to help them survive the winters, and do I need to worry about the summers? I'm not sure what kind of temps they need to survive. I've read about some people across the pond (UK) that say theirs stay outside with no help for the winters even in the snow. For me bringing them inside isn't really an option. My wife is a very tolerant woman but chickens inside the house won't fly with my lovely bride. So I would like to see what I could build to make their winters less miserable. I am a fairly handy guy and I'm willing to build to suit my prospective new tenants.
Thanks ahead of time for all the information?

Dear fellow serama peeps,

I am the California State Rep for the American Serama Association and also the President of the Pacific Coast Serama Club.
I would be more than happy to answer/or direct your questions/ concerns, to the appropriate place about the Serama breed.

The Serama breed is the most wonderful and unique of all the chicken breeds. They have only been in the US for about 15+ years now and a limited amount were imported [to my knowledge it was about 135] . There is a ban on importing anymore from Malaysia so what we have are very precious indeed.

Because of their diminuative size, they can have fertility issues, egg laying problems, general health problems and because they are so new to the US there is no book to go to for on Serama breed health information. We are writing the book in some instances.

They need a diet high in protiens, like 16% or more.

I will get off my soapbox now LOL More info on the Serama is available on the American Serama Association website.

Hi,
I apperciate you chiming in. Do you know anybody that will have a SQ pair/trio for sale, or maybe even some chicks, at the Pacific Northwest Poultry Association show next weekend?
Thank you.

I live in NE Oklahoma folks and we have some cold winters from time to time, sub-zero (Heck in the negative teens occasionally) and up to 115deg F some summers for weeks on end. I'm just wondering what kind of winter and summer extremes these little birds can tolerate? What could I do to help them survive the winters, and do I need to worry about the summers? I'm not sure what kind of temps they need to survive. I've read about some people across the pond (UK) that say theirs stay outside with no help for the winters even in the snow. For me bringing them inside isn't really an option. My wife is a very tolerant woman but chickens inside the house won't fly with my lovely bride. So I would like to see what I could build to make their winters less miserable. I am a fairly handy guy and I'm willing to build to suit my prospective new tenants.
Thanks ahead of time for all the information?
They are very much not winter tolerant. A little better in warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom