American serama thread!

Question: do some Seramas have constant very large, stinky poo? My new girl will run you out of the house! It dark brown in color. Could it have been food from the other owner? I got her last Friday. Can it be from stress ? It is large in size too. Is there anything I can do ? She seems healthy Eats and drinks good. No blood in stool I know in every 8 /10 bm they have the cecal stool which is which stinks but never all the time. Help !

CONGRATULATIONS on your new babies!!!! GOTTA SEE PICTURES OF YOUR DARLINGS please.....:fl :yesss:

Now, to answer your "poop" question, yes; food / moving stress / new friends / new house / can all cause wierd poops. Sometimes it can take up to a month for the system to "get it right".
Make sure you feed a high quality food, no corn in the summer [too fattening and makes them feel hotter internally] . Wild bird seed is a fine treat for summer. Also fresh veggies & fruit & dark leafy greens.
Do you know what the old owner was feeding? How she was housed? How old is this girly?
questions / question / questions.. :)

P.S. Just curious, where do U live in ILL, I am originally from Chicago area.....

Last edited:
LOL I have GOT to get me some of these feathered kids!

TREAD CAREFULLY Onyx..........dem feathered kids are like trying crack....you just want more and more and more and more and..OOOPS....got in a trance there.........lets put it this way, when you only watch TV outside where all the birds can climb on you to watch too, you are hooked! hee hee OH AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE one special one that sleeps with you too..... :p

Here you can see 3 of dem sneaks that want>>>> IN THE HOUSE NOW MOM! :lau

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS on your new babies!!!! GOTTA SEE PICTURES OF YOUR DARLINGS please.....:fl :yesss:

Now, to answer your "poop" question, yes; food / moving stress / new friends / new house / can all cause wierd poops. Sometimes it can take up to a month for the system to "get it right".
Make sure you feed a high quality food, no corn in the summer [too fattening and makes them feel hotter internally] . Wild bird seed is a fine treat for summer. Also fresh veggies & fruit & dark leafy greens.
Do you know what the old owner was feeding? How she was housed? How old is this girly?
questions / question / questions.. :)

P.S. Just curious, where do U live in ILL, I am originally from Chicago area.....

Gracie is 8 months old. She is a class B barely. Has a very large chest and up right tail, multicolor I will take some pic today when I feel a little better. Got the flu. Cold going down chest. DH came down with it Sat..then did not minded to pass it along. My baby Romeo is so sweet. I rock him and he tucks his little head under my chin. I think he is bonding to me. Lol

Gracie is 8 months old. She is a class B barely. Has a very large chest and up right tail, multicolor I will take some pic today when I feel a little better. Got the flu. Cold going down chest. DH came down with it Sat..then did not minded to pass it along. My baby Romeo is so sweet. I rock him and he tucks his little head under my chin. I think he is bonding to me. Lol

SO sorry you are feeling crummy, and THANK YOU DH for sharing!!! ;) See dem seramas are already working their magic on you, bet he makes you feel alittle better already. LOL
Looking forward to PICTURES~!!!!! :yesss: :weee :yiipchick :celebrate

TREAD CAREFULLY Onyx..........dem feathered kids are like trying crack....you just want more and more and more and more and..OOOPS....got in a trance there.........lets put it this way, when you only watch TV outside where all the birds can climb on you to watch too, you are hooked! hee hee OH AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE one special one that sleeps with you too.....
tongue.png

Here you can see 3 of dem sneaks that want>>>> IN THE HOUSE NOW MOM!
lau.gif

HAHAHA! I know all about chicken math. I decided to get 6 hens originally. I now have 30 pullets, 3 roos, and 4 ducks.
idunno.gif
These are just so darn cute!

Help! My new serama has a bit of loose stool and I am hoping just from stress of new home. Has anyone ever use bene bac for birds? It is a probiotic I think she needs something. I have used the one for baby chicks but she is 8 mos..what does everyone think?

Help! My new serama has a bit of loose stool and I am hoping just from stress of new home. Has anyone ever use bene bac for birds? It is a probiotic I think she needs something. I have used the one for baby chicks but she is 8 mos..what does everyone think?

HI, Not sure I can help much.but wanted you to get a response and not feel ignored.
First ,your instincts are correct........shipping, new home possibly a different food.
All add up to the loose stool..
My answer for myself would be do nothing for few days..............
I am unfamiliar with the product you mentioned but to my thinking it would be just adding one more
new thing to her.............I have a feeling this will correct itself................
I am certain she will be just fine. They are very hardy.
Your post reminds me of the first time I had them shipped in..........I could not even eat and was terrified to open the box.
Of course they just stood up and looked right at me.
Good Luck and keep us updated............
hugs.gif

Tanya

Good Grief, I just realized how my last post could sound.
I did not mean anyone would ignore you...just sometimes the thread is not very busy
and you may have to wait awhile..................
smile.png

PS I can't help either! However, I agree with much of what you posted about stress and maybe new feed. Add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water and see if that helps. I think the norm is 1 tablespoon to a quart.

Personally I used fermented feed and it really does make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom