American serama thread!

One of my 5 month old pullets.
She is not standing straight up but I think she will once she is used to the carpet.

thumbsup.gif
Go, Anna!

When crossing a Silkie with a Serama, what characteristics show up in the chicks? I notice in the photos that they have the five toes and fuzz factor, but do they also inherit the black skin too? I just got two Serama pullets that I want to breed with my Silkie roo.

Alright! 5 babies out and 1 to go!
of the 6 only two are silkie X serama - but I've got two more due in a week and 6 more due in 2 and 3 weeks.

These are funny little guys!

First Pip

First up we have the yellow Silkie X Serama
Orange skin, a little color in the beak, and an extra toe! I think the brown on her fuzz is just a little blood, not actual color.

Next up is the silver Silkie x Serama
Much lighter skin than purebred silkie chicks, but still definitely black - with a matching black face - and extra toes

And the whole gang! 2 crosses, 1 yellow serama, 1 black serama, and a brown serama. The crosses are just SLIGHTLY bigger than the serama

And my very favorite picture of them ALL
"Put . Me . Down."

great pictures and beautiful chicks..........................
love.gif

When crossing a Silkie with a Serama, what characteristics show up in the chicks? I notice in the photos that they have the five toes and fuzz factor, but do they also inherit the black skin too? I just got two Serama pullets that I want to breed with my Silkie roo.
This is my first time crossing these so I'm no expert. I only have 2 right now - but a dozen more to come over the next 19 days, hatching every 6 days or so - but these two are totally different!
They both have a little fuzz bubble crown like silkies, they both have a little fuzz on their legs (although the yellow one has significantly less), and they both have the extra toes. However one has dark skin - although not as dark as a purebred silkie chick, it's more blue than black - and one has yellow skin although it has bits of dark spots around her knees and beak where it meets her face. The dark chick is also much closer to the size of the serama than the yellow silkie mix. I'm wondering about color genetics too because my silkie is white and the serama roo is tan, so the "easter egg" chick color genetics are showing up in the silver silkie since neither parent has dark feathers. I'm really excited about this little mini project! It'll be fun to see how they all feather out and hopefully I'll get to breed them and see what the second generation looks like!

great pictures and beautiful chicks..........................
love.gif
Thanks! I'm having so much fun watching them! Day old chicks are so funny. I have one who sleeps on his back like a dog! What a weirdo haha.

So I've got the2 crosses, one yellow and one silver
Then 2 brown serama, 1 yellow and 1 blue (like her momma! Which I'm suuuuuper excited for because I LOVE Berry's coloring. It may just be a plain solid color but that blue is so freaking pretty, and everyone always wants to buy her off me haha)

The yellow serama

I can't seem to get a good picture representing this ones "blue" hue, but you can kinda tell when its up against it's brown hatch mates

Blue above ^, brown below v

Silver silkie cross

Yellow silkie cross, but this one is more cream than yellow, you can sorta see the difference up against the yellow serama

The whole gang - The cream/yellow silkie mix is the biggest of the bunch- this one shows a pretty good difference between the blue chick and the browns

Alright! 5 babies out and 1 to go!
of the 6 only two are silkie X serama - but I've got two more due in a week and 6 more due in 2 and 3 weeks.

These are funny little guys!

First Pip

First up we have the yellow Silkie X Serama
Orange skin, a little color in the beak, and an extra toe! I think the brown on her fuzz is just a little blood, not actual color.

Next up is the silver Silkie x Serama
Much lighter skin than purebred silkie chicks, but still definitely black - with a matching black face - and extra toes

And the whole gang! 2 crosses, 1 yellow serama, 1 black serama, and a brown serama. The crosses are just SLIGHTLY bigger than the serama

And my very favorite picture of them ALL
"Put . Me . Down."
Absolutely adorable!!
jumpy.gif

Hey guys.... I need help. My serama boy is about 12 weeks old. I'm new to owning Seramas and my two are indoor birds. Last night my little boy was perfectly fine and running around like normal. This morning he was laying in the corner of his cage on the floor and is very lethargic. He barely opens his eyes and isn't moving much. I don't feel anything in his crop area but honestly not sure I'm feeling for it right.... He doesn't free range outside and just eats regular crumble and is provided grit in his cage. His waddles seem a bit shrivly but are otherwise his regular color. Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm afraid I'm losing him....

Hey guys.... I need help. My serama boy is about 12 weeks old. I'm new to owning Seramas and my two are indoor birds. Last night my little boy was perfectly fine and running around like normal. This morning he was laying in the corner of his cage on the floor and is very lethargic. He barely opens his eyes and isn't moving much. I don't feel anything in his crop area but honestly not sure I'm feeling for it right.... He doesn't free range outside and just eats regular crumble and is provided grit in his cage. His waddles seem a bit shrivly but are otherwise his regular color. Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm afraid I'm losing him....
This sounds very similar to what took my little cockerel a while back.
I'm not an expert, but I would start with something sweet in water, like sugar or hummingbird food. If you can get him to drink you could try to get him to eat some scrambled eggs. Keep him warm, and keep an eye on him until someone else can help =)

Back
Top Bottom