American serama thread!

haven't posted in awhile, but i have had 2 miracles, and a hard lesson learned- a bout with thread worm- the dang worm invisible in poop, will kill a bird if there is a bad infestation- in the last year was given 3 pairs from a friend downsizing- i should have realized something wasn't quite right as pale as they were- well lost 2 hens, nearly lost a roo- till a breeder looking at my pics said worm them- so symptoms that had me confused for months, pale, lethargic, weak and olive green poop- so New Years Dwight was at deaths door, wormed with valbazen, (second dose a week later) hand fed hi protein and vitamins- took him almost a month, but he has recovered, another boy peeps, is slowly recovering- how indoor birds got this, not sure, but my assumption is the incoming birds had them- new protocol, get fecals routinely and worm incoming birds -

i have uploaded pictures here to see what to look for (uploading isn't working here this morning

http://s119.photobucket.com/user/rgortonart/library/1threadworm

Glad that you caught it in time.

I've never experienced any worms but I didn't want to wait until I did
so I mix a few tablespoons of DE into the group food bowl every morning.

OK Peeps, it seems that there is confusion on what is what with showing POULTRY.
At an American Poultry Association show (APA) you bring your PURE BRED bird to show and they are put in a cage for the judge to judge. The classes would be , for example: Mediterranian (leghorns, Spanish white face, ASIATIC: brahma,Sumatra CONTINENTAL: RIR, Barred Rock
BANTAM BREEDS have their own classifications: OEGB, Modern OEGB, Dutch, etc..
THEN with in each breed, there are COLOR classes, IE: White leghorn dark leghorn, for OEGB there are like 34 colors to judge seperatly. SO serama for in cage judging falls under A.O.V. (all other variety) and ONLY white is accepted by APA for judging.

NOW Table Top showing is a whole nother thing, that has nothing to do with the in cage part of a show. This type of showing is something that is either sanctioned by SCNA or ASA and is done on a tabletop.

Does that help at all fill in some of the blanks????

http://www.scnaonline.org/cajun-classic.html This link takes you to the Cajun Classic which is a table top show and the super bowl of tt shows.

How do you all train your Seramas to pose?

They are born that way...

Here is an example, this boy is 100% serama but no amount of prodding will ever get him to pose correctly

This is another serama of mine that is in "pose" all the time..

WHY??? BREEDING BREEDING BREEDING period.. :)

my only problem with DE besides respiratory issue, is when it gets wet its ineffective, these worms live in the crop and esophogus  - so regular fecals from now on 

nasty critters

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938

DE WILL NOT EVER KILL WORMS period! I am sorry to say... You need to get the birds on a worming schedule with chemicals.......
IF your birds are on the dirt and/or exposed to ground that wild critters go they will get worms.

DE WILL NOT EVER KILL WORMS period!

You don't think so? I know there is a lot of differing opinion about that.
I've seen studies that say it's ineffective.
I don't trust "studies" as much as I used to.
The more effective any cheap, natural method is,
the more people who sell expenisve alternatives will do to stigmatize it.

Some of those studies even seem to ignore significant results to reach their desired negative conclusions, i.e.;
"Control lambs sampled for GI parasite larvae at slaughter had higher average strongyle worm counts (1625) than DE-fed sheep (775), but the wide variability in individual accounts failed to indicate a statistically significant difference."

Other testing showed feeding poultry DE had quite a few benefits:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Diatomaceous-Earth-with-Poultry_vq473.htm

Many people swear by DE for worms.
Some places say you need 5% DE in the food to cure worms.

Back
Top Bottom