American serama thread!

Ra_-I have my doubts on this. What is the humidity where your new chicks hatched? Have you ever checked humidity under your hens? I haven't, but Ithink I will this weekend. I do wish you luck with your experiment. I have had it with incubators and believe that there is nothing better than a broody hen.

My birdroom/coop was 70% humidity. When I put the hygrometer under a broody it rose to 80%. I expected it to go down. My hygrometer is cheap so the numbers mean little, but it does indicate that broody hens not only provide the right temperature, they also provide the right humidity. My tentative conclusion is that it does not matter what the humidity is in the surrounding air, the hen's body provides the right humidity for hatching.

How difficult are seramas to sex? What should I look for as first indicators of male/female?

#9 is about to pop out!! :)

When they are about 4 weeks the boys combs will grow and be very obvious. If you are still not sure then just post pics when they are 3-4 weeks and I'll be happy to help!

Some of you may remember when I first joined this thread. After we decided my first Seramas weren't really Seramas, I got some new babies from a reputable breeder and as they grew I was very impressed with their very vertical stance. The months dragged on. And I just got back from the coop where I just found the FIRST EGG!!!!!

Some of you may remember when I first joined this thread. After we decided my first Seramas weren't really Seramas, I got some new babies from a reputable breeder and as they grew I was very impressed with their very vertical stance. The months dragged on. And I just got back from the coop where I just found the FIRST EGG!!!!!

Congrats! How is spaz?

Finding that first egg...just a great feeling after all the waiting. Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom