American serama thread!

thank you! yes! they would be inside most of the year, with exception to the summer months of course. I actually have a room that I am wanting to start a couple pairs or trios in. just getting them up here is difficult lol. I don't expect them to be shipped yet either since the weather is colder right now but in may/ june ill be fully looking to buy some. :)

​thank you! yes! they would be inside most of the year, with exception to the summer months of course. I actually have a room that I am wanting to start a couple pairs or trios in. just getting them up here is difficult lol. I don't expect them to be shipped yet either since the weather is colder right now but in may/ june ill be fully looking to buy some. :)

OH BOY! let the fun begin! Here is my inside set up for my 2 VERY VERY special seramas :D

thank you! yes! they would be inside most of the year, with exception to the summer months of course. I actually have a room that I am wanting to start a couple pairs or trios in. just getting them up here is difficult lol. I don't expect them to be shipped yet either since the weather is colder right now but in may/ june ill be fully looking to buy some. :)
I am in Michigan. you can contact me closer to when you are wanting them-we can look into shipping then and I can give you more details if you are interested.

those look like some happy birds! I'm hoping that the 2018/2019 school season my god son will be able to bring a breeding trio in (even better if the hen goes broody while at the school) so his class can watch the life process!

I am very interested! I would personally prefer trios, however if you sell pairs I would be willing to do that as well! I do live in Wrangell Alaska zip 99929 and shipping is almost always more to have things shipped here, I don't mind that at all part of living rural I suppose lol thank you!

I'm working on a experiment with eggs. Part of this thought process came to me because of seramas. Seems the smaller eggs may have more evaporation through the shell and if you take a container with a air pocket and shake it up (post office) the liquid sloshes everywhere, if the container is full then you get less sloshing (air cell detachment). So I though if you can keep the eggs from evaporating you may get less damage on the eggs during shipping. I have 2 clean eggs and 1 bloody pullet egg in baggies aging for a week. I started on Saturday this week and have had no noticeable evaporation of any of the wrapped eggs.

Saturday coming I will set the wrapped eggs and see how development goes. The bloody pullet egg was to check for contamination due to being wrapped in plastic. I can't explain this idea very well but in my head it works.

I'm about to rehome my breeding flock of sultans since I have some genetic issues which would be stupid of me to carry on when I'm trying to improve the breed, so I will not have eggs to do a guinea pig ship using my idea for at least 6 months. Anyone here interested in shipping me fresh eggs using plastic baggies so I can check this out? I'll pay for the eggs and shipping(4-6 eggs would be a good number). I have a thread started on the incubation hatching egg part of the forum with my experiment if anyone cares to read it and see how it works out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155066/it-occurred-to-me-crazy-egg-idea#post_18126423

Funny i just got done reading that thread! it makes since but the only way to find out is to try! that is for sure! I would send you some as a test but its pretty cold up here in Alaska right now.

I'm working on a experiment with eggs. Part of this thought process came to me because of seramas. Seems the smaller eggs may have more evaporation through the shell and if you take a container with a air pocket and shake it up (post office) the liquid sloshes everywhere, if the container is full then you get less sloshing (air cell detachment). So I though if you can keep the eggs from evaporating you may get less damage on the eggs during shipping. I have 2 clean eggs and 1 bloody pullet egg in baggies aging for a week. I started on Saturday this week and have had no noticeable evaporation of any of the wrapped eggs.

Saturday coming I will set the wrapped eggs and see how development goes. The bloody pullet egg was to check for contamination due to being wrapped in plastic. I can't explain this idea very well but in my head it works.

I'm about to rehome my breeding flock of sultans since I have some genetic issues which would be stupid of me to carry on when I'm trying to improve the breed, so I will not have eggs to do a guinea pig ship using my idea for at least 6 months. Anyone here interested in shipping me fresh eggs using plastic baggies so I can check this out? I'll pay for the eggs and shipping(4-6 eggs would be a good number). I have a thread started on the incubation hatching egg part of the forum with my experiment if anyone cares to read it and see how it works out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155066/it-occurred-to-me-crazy-egg-idea#post_18126423

I did that same experiment last year with turkey eggs. Yes, it does work. But I don't care for plastic bags, I am going to invest in the Rubbermaid Fresh fruit and veggie storage containers for storage before setting.

Mel has BEAUTIFUL Seramas and is a wonderful person too!

Two of the babies hatched from her eggs:
Gorgeous babies.

I really don't need seramas for the shipping experiment, I could do it with barnyard mixes or anything. Just pushing myself to try the hardest first haha!

I'm really glad to hear I'm not crazy but others have had similar thoughts about evaporation as I have had. It's reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom