American serama thread!

So cute!! All of them!
Sorry about the smooshed ones. :(

I don’t believe the chipmunk typical patterns work the same with seramas. I’m not positive of it, but I think I’ve had typical female marked ones turn out to be males. I think that patterning relates to silver genetics? But I’ve had a head cold all week, and my brain isn’t functioning properly, so I could very well be wrong. :p

So cute!! All of them!
Sorry about the smooshed ones. :(

I don’t believe the chipmunk typical patterns work the same with seramas. I’m not positive of it, but I think I’ve had typical female marked ones turn out to be males. I think that patterning relates to silver genetics? But I’ve had a head cold all week, and my brain isn’t functioning properly, so I could very well be wrong. :p
Hope you get back to health soon.
.... I can send more chick pics as they grow to make you feel better.:hugs

Get ready to smile....
white chick
1a.jpg 1b.jpg

chipmunk chick

2a.jpg 2b.jpg
yellow chick
3a.jpg 3b.jpg
Orp chick (I think a mauve or dark blue)
blue 2.jpg blue1.jpg

Sisters! LOL Just wait another 3 weeks to see the difference.
compare 1.jpg

Thank you. Of course that probably means he'll be male...... LOL
Teddy's the father for all but the orp chick. I'm hoping one may be a silkied serama.

BTW- DD played chicken spa this weekend & gave Teddy a red tail feather.:oops:

The white and yellow give me a feminie vibe. The chipmunk, not so sure. The orp is a beautiful color too. Red tailed Teddy, huh? His father sure wouldn't stand for that! :D

I had a broody on some eggs. One hatched, then another, then she left the final egg. They all looked about the same. I finished the last one in the incubator, it was touch and go for a couple days, but it finally got full strength. While it was inside, the first one that hatched died. Then I took the one I hatched out to her, and they were doing fine... an hour later, one was dead. Its been so cold, I actually put a heat plate in her coop, so the last one is doing ok now, but I'm not sure if it will make it either. I'm not even sure if the last one that died is the one I hatched, or the one she hatched.
D2739992-F44F-4DC6-933B-B2A4F45B1A07.jpeg
08A4BDAB-17FE-4F62-9A60-8534A8DE9859.jpeg

I have some serama questions that I have asked elsewhere but I figure asking on this thread would be better.

1. At what Temperature should I be heating their compartments?

2. Has anyone had any issues with hens laying soft shell eggs. There is plenty of Calcium in their feed but I was wondering if there is some sort of Supplement that would increase Calcium intake.

3. Are there any Guidelines for how much space per chicken for this breed. The people I bought Seramas from had them crammed pretty tight and everything seemed fine. Not that I want to push that issue.

4. Has anyone had success with them in a Mixed Flock? I actually had one that did great in a mixed flock but that entire flock was wiped out by a predator. (BTW the Serama lasted the longest).

I'm new to seramas, so I can't answer most of your ?s, but I know that they can do well in a mixed flock
This is my little serama "Noodle" with a lav orp behind her
IMG_2286.JPG

During the summer, my DD kept the bantam chicks in a tractor during the day (for hawk protection) & they slept in the coop with the rest of the flock at night. Other than having multiple feeders/waters hanging at different heights, it's no problem keeping them together. When chickens are hatched & brooded together, they tend to stick together.

Below is a pic of Noodle & her "sister" English Orpington. They looked like twins as chicks and remain best friends. (The orp hatched late & seemed a little weaker, so I put her in with the bantam hatch. Although her biological orp siblings did not pick on her, this big orp kept hopping in with the bantams..... or worse, sitting just outside the chicken tractor in the middle of the yard.... trying to stay close to her little buddies.
Best buffs.jpg

Because we have extremely cold winters, I set up a separate little coop on our porch for the seramas & other bantams. I've heard they can handle some cold, so the wall panel heater goes on at 35'F to keep things a little above freezing. This is my 1st winter with them.

Back
Top Bottom