American serama thread!

Faraday40

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
My little house rooster, Teddy, was a very sleepy boy this morning! The humans here are all battling a cold. We were sleepy, so when the 6am alarm went off, I pushed snooze and shouted to the kids that they'd get another 10-15 min before I'm getting up. DH got up right away and went downstairs. At 6:15, DS rolled out of bed. He used the bathroom first, so DD got to stay in bed a little longer. At 6:30, I got up, but both DD and the rooster were determined to sleep. At 6:45 I finally got Teddy to wake up and crow by turning on all the upstairs lights. DD is sort of immune to Teddy's crowing, so she didn't even get out of bed until 6:50. She then left her bedroom, closed the door, & the satisfied little rooster went quiet again.

I like that our little serama doesn't crow early in the morning, but let's face it, Teddy's only real job is to wake up DD. He normally crows a few times when he sees DD roll over or hears the alarm (like an anti-snooze button) but today it took one alarm clock, one sunrise, 3 people walking around, and all the lights on to wake him up. Lazy, lazy rooster!
:lau
This is so different than a year ago when we were rooster-sitting @homeschoolin momma 's boy. Teddy and Jasper would seranade us daily - nonstop for about 30 min.

nchls school

Crowing
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Faraday40-Lucky you. Pablo announces morning at 3 AM. Thankfully his crow is not loud and Kimmi and I have learned to groan and go back to sleep...until 4:30 when the Wigglebottom pack announces morning and there's no ignoring them. When dogs want out they want OUT.

lilly.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017
Illinois
Jasper still likes to announce his humans are finally awake when he hears them in the house. Usually after the toilet flushes or he can hear doors opening or plates being unloaded. Sometimes he can even hear just footsteps. Then comes the 30 min. crow.....

Faraday40

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
Jasper still likes to announce his humans are finally awake when he hears them in the house. Usually after the toilet flushes or he can hear doors opening or plates being unloaded. Sometimes he can even hear just footsteps. Then comes the 30 min. crow.....
Yes. He's like his father. That's how Teddy usually behaves. The alarm usually wakes him up & then we hear him eating/drinking/moving about his cage. When he hears us talking or walking around or sees DD getting up, that's when he does his "good morning" crow. Thankfully it rarely last more than 5 min. If another rooster responds, however, it's a completely different story!

Faraday40

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
Faraday40-Lucky you. Pablo announces morning at 3 AM. Thankfully his crow is not loud and Kimmi and I have learned to groan and go back to sleep...until 4:30 when the Wigglebottom pack announces morning and there's no ignoring them. When dogs want out they want OUT.

View attachment 2034998
Such a cute mama!

We had a Great Dane who loved her breakfast. She would sleep outside our bedroom door and when we made the slightest movement, she would start howling and chewing at our door. She would not stop until someone got up to let her out and feed her. If we heard her sniff at the door, we would literally freeze and try not to breathe or move. Anything to get just a few more seconds!!!

Faraday40

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
Look who was in our screened room again!
IMG_2322.JPG

When I opened the door it flew to the gate (in pic) It waited until I actually stepped out, then flew away into a tree.

Poor bantams were all stuffed into the nest boxes.

nchls school

Crowing
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
My Pablo is much the same. And if I sit nearby he crows constantly; thankfully the crow isn't loud. It's to bad, though, Pablo's father was almost mute-his crow being like a loud whisper.

Top Bottom