American serama thread!

It is so cold here. WE had a rare hard freeze and the water was pretty solid out in the goat water buckets. My bator got down to 97 and I think that was most of the night. My eggs are just a few days along. Do you think they will be alright? Oh the bator is in my bedroom. WE keep the house 70 put it dip lower last night a bit.

They'll be fine, just maybe a wee bit delayed. I've thought I lost a batch before from an overnight power outage, unplugged it for a whole day, was urged to plug it back in, did, and everyone hatched a day late. If it's not too drastic for too long, it's all good.

So would this boy be fairly pure for wheaten then?
day old

now
Sure could be. There are even more genes that the Serama's have that can modify it a little but that's a pretty nice looking wheaten start. Do you have photo's of him when his very first wing feathers came in? That would be great to share, the wheatens can sometimes be sexed at that age. I'm guessing his feathering came in with darker, more mosaic pattern and colors.

Interesting. My frizzle was off white, a creamy white, yet she/he has creamy brown feathers coming in. So I take it she will be a wheaten? My other wheaten pullet lost any patterns on her feathers, now she is a buff color with dark charcoal wing tips and tail tips. Is that what I can expect from my frizzle or is it possible it will have a pattern still? Thanks for posting all that info!
Gosh, I really hope Boaz gets better! Are they related (some things are passed down genetically?) I'm so sorry, but glad he's hanging in there!
fl.gif
hugs.gif
It's hard to say, In general, if they don't have even a hint of eyeliner or markings and they are pale pale yellow to creamy white, it's a pretty sure thing they are eWh (wheaten) but other genes can interrupt things and make them look different. That makes it really important to keep good records, legbands or whatever to know which ones were hatched with no markings and the more creamy white the better. Mine having the yellowish tint could be better but she's the best so far. Breeding her back to her sire will increase the chances for more like her, and maybe even better but she'll have to make the cut for good type, red ear lobes and yellow legs before I even try. The little one on the lower right has better leg color already so it's always hard to choose who to keep and breed. If I can improve the color in another generation, and the little one with the not so perfect color down is better over all, I'd choose her. The other one could be bred to a brother if he has great type, red lobes and yellow legs. The older chick has yellow legs but they're pale yellow. It's the whole package you have to breed for and wheaten is the next up for acceptance if we can all get some correct wheaten colored with good type, yellow legs and red ear lobes. It's a chore, lol but I love the challenge

Sure could be. There are even more genes that the Serama's have that can modify it a little but that's a pretty nice looking wheaten start. Do you have photo's of him when his very first wing feathers came in? That would be great to share, the wheatens can sometimes be sexed at that age. I'm guessing his feathering came in with darker, more mosaic pattern and colors.
Julie,
You need my older pullet pictured. She could use darker yellow legs but if her ear lobes are a nice red and she has good type, she and your cockerel would make some awesome wheaten chicks. They're both very close. It's harder to tell on the cockerels/roosters if they're pure, those boys with the stripes in the down can look the same as the clear ones. It's the pullets and hens that show more imperfections in color for wheaten. I am producing wheaten chicks but only because, well, I can, lol. But it's not the color I'm working on so if you're interested, PM me and I'll keep her back for you and we'll see how she feathers out, type etc. I'm only letting her go to someone working on wheaten that has a start. There aren't a lot of breeders getting great color yet and I could see her and your cockerel really contributing.
I love swapping and you're in the KC area aren't you? Not too far to meet up somewhere this spring
Cathy

Mosaic describes it pretty well. Does he look like he has mottled in him too, or are the white tips fairly common as they feather in? He is going with my frizzle girl to try to make more wheatens, the rest of my serama's will be going into a fun/mixed/see what colors pop up pen, lol.

Julie,
You need my older pullet pictured. She could use darker yellow legs but if her ear lobes are a nice red and she has good type, she and your cockerel would make some awesome wheaten chicks. They're both very close. It's harder to tell on the cockerels/roosters if they're pure, those boys with the stripes in the down can look the same as the clear ones. It's the pullets and hens that show more imperfections in color for wheaten. I am producing wheaten chicks but only because, well, I can, lol. But it's not the color I'm working on so if you're interested, PM me and I'll keep her back for you and we'll see how she feathers out, type etc. I'm only letting her go to someone working on wheaten that has a start. There aren't a lot of breeders getting great color yet and I could see her and your cockerel really contributing.
I love swapping and you're in the KC area aren't you? Not too far to meet up somewhere this spring
Cathy
Very interested, pming you.
smile.png

Totally off topic, but as I consider you my friends, I just had to share my proud mom moment! My DD Izzy just took 1st place in the junior/senior cadet division for Girl Scout's Community 80 Pinewood Derby. DH is very happy too, as it was a Father/Daughter event. Check out the Hershey Bar Car!

Totally off topic, but as I consider you my friends, I just had to share my proud mom moment! My DD Izzy just took 1st place in the junior/senior cadet division for Girl Scout's Community 80 Pinewood Derby. DH is very happy too, as it was a Father/Daughter event. Check out the Hershey Bar Car!
clap.gif
Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom