American serama thread!

Here are my two little cuties, Macchiato, and Mocha. They are about 10 months old. Mocha has been laying some eggs, but they are all very small and don't contain yolks. Is this normal for serama pullets that are just starting to lay? I really want some eggs for hatching soon!

Here are my two little cuties, Macchiato, and Mocha. They are about 10 months old. Mocha has been laying some eggs, but they are all very small and don't contain yolks. Is this normal for serama pullets that are just starting to lay? I really want some eggs for hatching soon!

Beautiful birds! Reminds me of one of our pairs :)

Good Morning,
smile.png

A few things to share this morning....and want to stress it is not meant to argue any point made...........
Just what my personal experience has been.............

First.I have a few Roos that have I have never been able to intigrate with other roo's.
One in particular, my white frizzle, Just will not tolerate other males........
He will fight to the death.and nearly has twice not caring the size of the other roo...........
I guess my thought about intigrating roo's is sometimes it works................sometimes not...........
I find the roo's that have been hatched a raised together ...get along ...........

About Pixie Chicks.............I hatched shipped eggs from her....four hatched and all four were pullets............
celebrate.gif

My breeding hens are from her and they are great..........You can see her web site by googling Pixie Chicks.
On a scale of 1 to 10 .I give her a 15.........
lol.png

I do not mess with shipped eggs anymore for Seramas because I get so many of my own.
I get great hatches from those.........
That being said,I know that there are some breeders who do a great job shipping and I have read here that folks have
had good results.
At this point for myself, I prefer to buy young birds to be shipped in.

So much of this is trial and error I think. A constant learning process that makes it fun to raise these little guys.
We are so lucky to have this breed and be able to share with each other.............
Happy hatching............
big_smile.png

That's common for any chicken just starting out, I would give it some time, if I were you. If, after a couple of months, she is still laying wind eggs, then you can start to worry.
fl.gif

Hi!

I'm a Serama newbie. Okay, chicken newbie.
D.gif
(Hey, why do they put "Serama" as a misspelled word? This is a chicken site, after all.) And I was just wondering how/if you have Seramas in your flock without the other chickens without the others being mean to the Serama?

I don't have the chickens yet, so if I got them all together when they were chicks, would that help?
jumpy.gif

~~McFuzz

P.S. I LOVE THESE SMILEYS!!!
bun.gif

I just got a new job and so haven't really figured out what my plan is with housing Taco as he is currently free ranging my house lol.
I was wondering - I left the lid off the feed tub all day so he would have access to it - I usually just let him in 3 times a day to eat what he wants and then close it back up - and when I got home he is definitely dust bathing in the feed. Is this bad? I mean I would think he's pretty darn clean as he got bathed and now hasn't left the house. He wears a diaper so he's not pooping in it either.
Just thought I would see what you guys think

Sorry about disappearing on everyone! I haven't gotten much sleep the past couple nights, and today I was preoccupied with some storms coming through. The good news is, I GOT FOUR CHICKS! I ended up having to assist the little guy that pipped in the middle of his egg. He hadn't made any progress in about 36 hours, so I gently started zipping for him with a tiny pair of blunt tweezers. Absolutely no blood, and his yolk was completely absorbed, so he was ready to come out. He's quite happy and healthy now!

After everyone was hatched and removed from the incubator, I quickly candled to see if anyone else was alive. Looks like four of the eggs quit around day 19, and in the last egg the poor chick was positioned upside down and wasn't able to pip. So, no more eggs left... but four healthy chicks just blows my mind! I was going to be ecstatic just getting one to hatch! I'll likely keep all four for a week or two to make sure they're healthy and to see who bonds with me the most, then I'll find homes for the ones I can't keep.

Now for the chick-pics!

The one on the left in this last photo just hatched this morning, a full day after the others. He hasn't completely fluffed out yet, which is why he looks a little funky. Everyone is being very nice to him though, and of course they're all getting a ton of love from me.
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom