American serama thread!

Avie said they wanted eggs, not live birds. i dont really like breeders. their birds and eggs are often expensive and the seramas are too SQ. if your looking for a pet, charliesweb3k is the way to go.
You usually get what you pay for though. I sell hatching eggs. Now, even though they might not all be show quality when they hatch, they come from some decent birds. I wouldn't try to discourage someone away from breeders because when I first got into Seramas that is how I started. I would rather start with someone who really knows their stuff about the breed instead of someone who wants just pretty yard pets. Just my two cents.

You usually get what you pay for though. I sell hatching eggs. Now, even though they might not all be show quality when they hatch, they come from some decent birds. I wouldn't try to discourage someone away from breeders because when I first got into Seramas that is how I started. I would rather start with someone who really knows their stuff about the breed instead of someone who wants just pretty yard pets. Just my two cents.
i hear ya. i personally had a better experience with charlie than any other breeder. the best part that i didn't mention is that charlie has a youtube channel that has all the how too's, and too do's that you would ever need for seramas. plus the 100% percent fertility cant be beat! all 8 chicks i got are different so also good diversity! i got silkieds, green Leger's, black Leger's. and pink Leger's! i think charlie is the way to go! especially because my b class serama has the weight of a c class. his birds are really healthy! and so are all the chick i get from him!
cool.png

Quote:
What you are not a girl??????? J/K
lau.gif
Always good to have reliable pet quality breeders also
big_smile.png
Where is Charlie?

I had issues when I was trying to get a German Shepherd, my choices were either S/Q ($$$$) or puppy mills, there was no one that just had healthy pets. Ending up going the S/Q route, he won championships, only to get H/D and now I can't use him to even breed pet quality pups, both parents had hips certified so it was just a breeding fluke. At the same time real S/Q breeders are needed for every animal to help keep the standards going and be good reps of their breed.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the info to check out!
(Yeah I'm a she)

I was thinking of eggs because we've hand-raised all sorts of birds, and it's so cool when you know them since they were babies. Our 3 Easter Eggers are really tame because my son treated them like kittens when they were little. So I was looking forward to some tiny peeps
love.gif

But I'm sure if I met a breeder I'd be interested in whatever they had! ...We live in Maryland, do you know of someone not too far from us?

Your b class serama would be considered a c class if the weight is within the c class. I hope this charlie guy isn't guaranteeing 100% fertility because that would be almost unfair to those who don't get 100% fertility. I understand that charlie is probably a good seller, but I just wanted to explain that there are other good breeders of seramas out there as well.
like i said, i hear ya. i get 100% fertility the four times i incubated his eggs. my hen is a B class serama. i had her checked by a serama breeder. she is very well taken care of in my house so she often increases her weight until she has a good week of laying, which brings her back to B class weight. i don't have any SQ chicks from charlie though, that's where a breeder might be more suitable.

Your b class serama would be considered a c class if the weight is within the c class. I hope this charlie guy isn't guaranteeing 100% fertility because that would be almost unfair to those who don't get 100% fertility. I understand that charlie is probably a good seller, but I just wanted to explain that there are other good breeders of seramas out there as well.
He's in Seattle, Washington.
his youtube channel is youtube.com/charliesweb1k
and his email is [email protected]

larps1234, your chicks are adorable, congrats, and I like their names :)
lau.gif
I also assumed you were a girl
hide.gif
LOL, I stand corrected, and shall change my mind's eye's picture, LOL

I know, I am ticked at Mocha for giving me all dud eggs, I really wanted some babies from him this Spring. I think that coloring would be gorgeous on regular/unfrizzled feathers especially. He certainly knows that Mocha is his - I saw him try to attack Orion my mottled cochin roo when he was mating with Mocha and Orion acted like he didn't even notice there was a little rooster on his back going bananas lol
Oh, but they're both so pretty! That's too funny re: your cochin, LOL.
Hello Serama people! (Is this the right thread to say hello in?)

This is my first year for incubating eggs. I incubated 5 emu eggs this spring. Two were damaged in shipping, two were sterile, and the last one is "due" in 2 weeks. I suspect it's another dud though
sad.png
But now I have the incubation bug. I will really miss turning these eggs ! So I am researching some other possibilities. I'm learning about button quail and Seramas. My DH converted our garage into an aviary / greenhouse (this started out as a homeschool project, and it just...grew...
gig.gif
) so we have room for some more inhabitants.

I've been reading some of the Serama threads and these tiny chickies are just so beautiful, so many colors!

What are the best resources you could point me to that would help me learn what I need to know?

Thanks!
Hey,
welcome-byc.gif
! I must say you're brave to start off with Emu! WoW I hope you hatch that last one! On another note, you can also read up on some of the closed serama threads to see all the more "heated" arguments on these birds, which is very interesting and informative, but kept getting too heated, so they closed the thread
barnie.gif
LOL, but still, a lot of knowledgeable people spoke up at that time. I'm one that started out just wanting cute pets, but I must say that it is the proud stance of the Serama that got me to love them, so if I had only gotten small chickens, I would have been ultimately disappointed. I think mine look definitely like Serama, but not the best SQ, IMO, but that's ok. Luna is actually awesome, and my boy Sirius is pretty good (except his tail doesn't go vertical.) Still, he strutts his stuff quite well, so I'm happy with them. The only thing I can suggest is that you get your eggs from someone who has nice quality and lives as close as possible to you. Don't buy from over 600 miles if at all possible. That's still no guarantee that the eggs won't be damaged in transit, but it sure helps! It's notoriously difficult to hatch shipped Serama eggs!
he.gif

I would like to apologize for how blunt my comments were. If you knew me personally, I am not at all a meanie. I just stated my own opinion. I don't care whether your seramas are pq, bq, sq, or whatever quality. If you are happy with them, then I am happy for you!
big_smile.png
Back to my hole I go...

Thank you for the warm welcome and the info to check out!
(Yeah I'm a she)

I was thinking of eggs because we've hand-raised all sorts of birds, and it's so cool when you know them since they were babies. Our 3 Easter Eggers are really tame because my son treated them like kittens when they were little. So I was looking forward to some tiny peeps
love.gif

But I'm sure if I met a breeder I'd be interested in whatever they had! ...We live in Maryland, do you know of someone not too far from us?
Hi Avie, I looked up a few serama breeders in your area. Try Gina May McElhinney or Donna Cheetham. They are on FB.

Back
Top Bottom