American serama thread!

Hello I'm new to raising serama chickens and I'm wondering right now here in Texas we are having some odd weather tonight is going to hit low 30's will my lil seramas be alright being outside

We get below 0 often overnight so I keep a couple of LF "fatty pattys " in their coop to keep them warm. Lots of floor bedding, no drafts but yes on a bit of ventilation( higher than the roost. And flip on the heat light below 20.

You can use nearly anything for a brooder.  I usually start my "just hatched" babies out in a 10 gallon aquarium.  It is very good about keeping the heat in and I can watch them easily.  When I notice them starting to move toward the side of the aquarium away from the light then I move them into the larger brooder.  It's a rabbit cage and works wonderfully since I can put roosts in there, hang the water, and clean it easily.  Many people use large plastic totes as brooders.  Good luck and post pics!:jumpy

I finally got sick of finding storage space for all my odd sized brooders.so I purchased 9 clear tubs and used a screw gun to drill vents along the top. In goes the ecoglows ,food and water and I use a brick on its side as a perch when their ready. If you get them deep enough it's useable until you integrate them into the main flock. I also use it as quarantine for mean or injured birds. They all stack up when not in use and have a nice LITTLE spot in the garage!

We get below 0 often overnight so I keep a couple of LF "fatty pattys " in their coop to keep them warm. Lots of floor bedding, no drafts but yes on a bit of ventilation( higher than the roost. And flip on the heat light below 20.
I finally got sick of finding storage space for all my odd sized brooders.so I purchased 9 clear tubs and used a screw gun to drill vents along the top. In goes the ecoglows ,food and water and I use a brick on its side as a perch when their ready. If you get them deep enough it's useable until you integrate them into the main flock. I also use it as quarantine for mean or injured birds. They all stack up when not in use and have a nice LITTLE spot in the garage!
Reminds me that I use to have 5 Serama roosters that lived with my Imported English Orpingtons...............
The English huge....10 to 15 lbs..................At bed time you could not see the Seramas because they tucked in between the Orps...............
It was way to cute......
lol.png

Hey! Anyone in The northern Virginia area sell Seramas? One of my Seramas died last and now my pullet is all alone. I need to get another companion for her... Anyone know of anywhere nearby? I want another girl and preferable a class A or B.

Back
Top Bottom