American serama thread!

Lol they all kind of popped out at once and suddenly my brooder is packed! I love it though, tons of little fuzz balls running around. I've been laying on the floor watching them for hours, talk about a lazy Sunday afternoon! LOL
They are all from my own flock. I have no idea where all that RED came from though! I mean it MUST be the rooster since he's the only common denominator, but he's mostly cream and blue with a little caramel on his back. So far out of nearly 3 dozen set, only 2 haven't made it to hatch! Oh I'm so excited! This is so different than trying to hatch shipped eggs.

Here's Toy, the daddy of a them all

And the Momma's - Berry, Chip, Jr, Snowball, and Blue

wow I sure love that lacing on your rooster! beautiful chicks! maybe sometime I will get eggs from you ;)

I'm thinking about moving my trio into my sunroom. Do any of you have pics of indoor caging or tips for minimizing the mess. I have a fish tank 2 1/2ft by 5ft I was thinking of using.

wow I sure love that lacing on your rooster! beautiful chicks! maybe sometime I will get eggs from you ;)
Thanks! I think that's my favorite feature of his. I love anything laced, I'm all about the feather pattern!
Do you have to do anything special to send eggs besides wrap them well? I never really thought about it haha.

I'm thinking about moving my trio into my sunroom. Do any of you have pics of indoor caging or tips for minimizing the mess. I have a fish tank 2 1/2ft by 5ft I was thinking of using.
What lucky birds!
I kept mine inside for a long time! I used a 6in deep pan with an inch or two of shavings in the bottom of a wire cage. I had levels for them to jump around on and roost, but I think you could probably do without. The only thing I would change is making a wood or concrete perch/area to give treats so they get some natural wearing down of their nails, I had to clip them ALOT.
The pan made for super easy cleaning! Just used a litter scoop under the perch daily, and dumped the whole thing in the compost every couple weeks and used fresh shavings.

I can't find the picture of when it was completed - the middle shelf was removed and replaced by various perches all up the height of the cage. It wasn't exactly attractive LOL but the idea worked wonderfully! The pan at the bottom collected all the poop and the whole thing slid right out so it was easy to dump. I'm sure you could build a prettier one.
I liked it because it gave them lots of room without much of a footprint. The top level is a brooder.

How much room would two seramas need? My dad and i are going to turn an old desk into a serama enclosure (the desk is shapped just right to put roosts,a nest box and a small run)

do they really need that much room? I figured smaller bird meant needing less room. they would also be out of the coop alot they would more then likely sitting on the couch with me and a silkie or two lol

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just. Personal thing... I give my lf 2-3 sq ft per bird and my bantam or serama 1-2 sq feet in the coop. The run is at least double that and they have a larger yard when the weather is good.
Kandi

That looks just fine. Did they really use those high perches? I had not thought of going up but I have the room to.
Toy LOVES to be up high, and so did Elena, so they would climb as high as they could. Berry is more of a low-to-the-ground kinda girl. Serama are very good at flying so having some UP space seemed to give them something to do. I give all my brooding babies LOTS of things to climb on and fly up to and perch on so they get the hang of it very early, and usually spend most of their time off the ground. I gave them lots of "steps" but found that expesically Toy loved to just jump from floor ALLLL the way to the highest perch in one jump - Showing off for the ladies I'm sure LOL, but my younger birds loved jumping from one to the next highest and back down again.

do they really need that much room? I figured smaller bird meant needing less room. they would also be out of the coop alot they would more then likely sitting on the couch with me and a silkie or two lol
A good rule of thumb I grew up with was the smaller the animal the more room they need, which usually equals to just as much or up to twice as much as the "large" version of the same animal. Great examples are rabbits - tiny breeds like netherland dwarfs are the most active and love to run and play and jump even into their old age, where as a Flemish Giant spends most of their day lounging around and can live quite happily in just enough to completely stretch out (of course they do love to explore and giving as much space as possible is always ideal). Smaller animals of almost any kind tend to be more active and agile and not only benefit but actually need lots of space to play and be happy. The only time I would restrict space is for raising anything for meat, although I don't know that you'd get much from a serama =P

Back
Top Bottom