American serama thread!

I hope someone here can help a newbie. Although I've kept chickens for years, this is my first time with Seramas, and my first broody hen.

I wished for a broody and fate brought me the cutest little Serama. She is now sitting on a clutch of golf balls, which I plan to swap for day-old chicks.

My main question is: how many standard size chicks can a Serama care for? Originally I had hoped for 10, but she doesn't look big enough to cover more than 5 maybe. I live in N California so not too cold at night. I could help her out with a heating pad, but I have a feeling she has to physically cover the chicks in order to bond with and care for them.

Any insight from those more experienced?

I hope someone here can help a newbie. Although I've kept chickens for years, this is my first time with Seramas, and my first broody hen.

I wished for a broody and fate brought me the cutest little Serama. She is now sitting on a clutch of golf balls, which I plan to swap for day-old chicks.

My main question is: how many standard size chicks can a Serama care for? Originally I had hoped for 10, but she doesn't look big enough to cover more than 5 maybe. I live in N California so not too cold at night. I could help her out with a heating pad, but I have a feeling she has to physically cover the chicks in order to bond with and care for them.

I don't know about the max but my hens always do good with 5 or 6

I think it depends on the chicks' size and the size of the Serama. I have 2 Eng Orp chicks that are a week old, and I don't think my Serama hens would be able to cover more than 2 or 3 of these. They're getting pretty large and not a single feather, so in a week or two more they'd be a tight fit. Might have bits hanging out in the cold! A faster feathering breed might be okay.

Thanks for the replies. She will be raising California Whites so they may be on the smaller side. I will give it a try. Depending on the weather, I may end up using the brooder box.

Here's my little Serama housechicken. He was a birthday present. He's the happiest little guy now, since he just got his own little bantam flock. He has a sebrite mix and a belgian d'anver who live with him right next to the front window, where they get the afternoon sun!

We painted his spurs for Christmas, hence the red/green. It still hasn't worn off.

We have some chicks that are about 2.5 months old. How do you tell wether they are Roos or Hens at this young age?

It is cool that Momma is setting again. Should hatch next week.

Our 1st batch of babies. Lost a few cause we didn't know they could fly.

That is AWESOME. My daughter asked if she could keep her serama in her room but wasn't sure how they'd do not being outside on the grass. Is that a parrot cage? Could you tell me the size?
I'm new here. Just been reading and not writing. Thought all you serama lovers would like this picture. My birds are hardly "show quality" but they are the most loving pets ever!

Back
Top Bottom