American serama thread!

I have a question for you guys. I want to of course breed for better birds. I was wondering if I could get advice to which hens I should place with which roo to improve type? I have 3 roos and 5 hens. One roo needs to molt. I got him recently and hes a little rough. My daughter doesnt care about color but she wants to start showing so I wanting to help her produce good type offspring. This is all we have to work with. I believe a few are really nice birds idk I just think they all are pretty.
Roo 1

Roo 2

Roo 3

A
B
C
D
E
They are very cute! If your daughter wants to show, you should pick your best 2 or 3 and see what you get. It's hard to see the quality and size of a bird from a picture. They may look particularly good (or not so good) just for the instant the picture was snapped. Get a copy of the standard from one of the major clubs and study photos of champion birds to learn what traits you need to select for.

If your males are still cockerels (under a year old) you may see some changes as they mature, specifically the breast may grow more prominent. Ideally they should stand straight up, chest out like little soldiers, tail touching the back of the head. The back should form a V between the neck and the tail. Long, flat backs are undesirable for show. Viewed from the side, the eye, forward wing edge, and leg/foot should all form a vertical straight line.

Again, it's hard to tell from just one picture, but to my eye, pullet C has the best type (shape). Watch your cockerels when they are walking around and see how they stand when they go on alert. I like Roo 1, but he seems a little scared and not standing up fully, so I don't think his legs are really that short. I'm curious to see what others think, so hope you get more opinions.

Good luck and hope you share pictures when the chicks hatch!

Hey my friend gave me a little black serama hen she had laid six eggs but they went bad but they had to many chickens so they gave her to me I've had her for a bout four Mabey five months and she has not laid a single egg I know she is a hen because I have seen her lay an egg at my friends house but I thought for the first couple of months ok she is just getting use to her environments but it been forever she found her self a roo my little golden laced sebright they are inseperable but still no eggs I've swithched feed moved coops and face her three nesting boxes I may have to get rid of her if she doesn't lay any eggs my mother said so

in the flesh!
Long time no hear. I dont know how to do the other method of contact. I am a computer Illiterate. Hope you are doing good hun. miss you ragging me and telling me to have patience. LOL
hugs.gif

Just a reminder that the 8th Annual Fancy Feathers 4-H Open Chicken Show is March 21st, 2015 at Dripping Springs Ranch Park, Dripping Springs, Texas.

There will be a serama table top show, and much more. More information at fancyfeathertx.org

Back
Top Bottom