American serama thread!

I don't know what other people call Serama colors.
I call her Buff & Blue.

No, a smoothie is a smooth-feathered Serama.
She is a silkied Serama.
thought thats what a smoothie was but want sure. thanks for the clarification!
big_smile.png

I hatched a silkie chick from my own flock recently and the hen has this same coloration! it was very interesting and exciting to see your serama with such a similar coloration!

I hatched a silkie chick from my own flock recently and the hen has this same coloration! it was very interesting and exciting to see your serama with such a similar coloration!

Wow, look at that. Beautiful.
I think 'Buff' is actually more of a tan color to most people but I went to Beverly Hills Junior High School (PA, not LA)
Our colors were Buff & Blue and I remember it being a very pale color, like our birds.

Wow, look at that. Beautiful.
I think 'Buff' is actually more of a tan color to most people but I went to Beverly Hills Junior High School (PA, not LA)
Our colors were Buff & Blue and I remember it being a very pale color, like our birds.
thats awesome! thank you so much for that info!

Splash is doing better. If I can get her through tomorrow I think all will be well. She has a three day laying cycle; tomorrow is the third day. I'm hoping that any more eggs will be reabsorbed.

I'm late to the party on this, but I'm glad to hear she is doing better! If she still has any vent irritation/puffyness, witch hazel actually works better than prep h in my experience. Warm water soaks can also help with prolapse but I would not do it if there is any bleeding happening, as it will only increase it. If it happens once it is likely to continue to re-occur. In cases like these, I would consult a vet about a birth control implant! This stops a hen's reproductive system entirely. Much, much less risky than surgery, and cheaper too. They might not necessarily have to be an avian vet, as I believe the implant was actually originally for ferrets of all things.

I'm late to the party on this, but I'm glad to hear she is doing better! If she still has any vent irritation/puffyness, witch hazel actually works better than prep h in my experience. Warm water soaks can also help with prolapse but I would not do it if there is any bleeding happening, as it will only increase it. If it happens once it is likely to continue to re-occur. In cases like these, I would consult a vet about a birth control implant! This stops a hen's reproductive system entirely. Much, much less risky than surgery, and cheaper too. They might not necessarily have to be an avian vet, as I believe the implant was actually originally for ferrets of all things.
That would make sense because if an unaltered Jill goes into heat without being mated to induce ovulation, she can die.

thought thats what a smoothie was but want sure. thanks for the clarification! :D I hatched a silkie chick from my own flock recently and the hen has this same coloration! it was very interesting and exciting to see your serama with such a similar coloration!
Pictures like this make me miss breeding Silkies. She's beautiful!

The hen's vent has returned to normal. I am surprised. A good two inches was hanging out nearly to the ground. We used antibiotic cream and Preparation H and a day in the dark. The egg that was causing the problem was passed and Splash has laid two more eggs since. She will soon go broody and her body will get the break it needs to heal.

My little blue laced hen Ellie barely survived a hawk attack the other day. The poor thing is traumatized. Heard screeching while I was inside, I ran out and there a red-tailed hawk had her pinned with its talons. I grabbed the closest thing I saw and threw it, which made it drop the hen and leave. Thankfully she's not too injured. A few minor scratches and a bunch of missing feathers, but it's nothing that won't heal. She's still too afraid to leave the coop, but with time I think she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom