American serama thread!

Here are 2 of the gypsy chicks. It's hard to tell but they are mostly black. @Ra_
Unfortunately one of the chicks passed. It was a gypsy one as well (one of the 2 I found lifeless) but the other is doing good.

Y'all, I promise I mean this in the politest way possible and only wish to educate: "gypsy" is a slur used to describe Romani people. I know that a lot of misinformed people think it is a quaint and inoffensive thing, but it is not. Here is an article by someone of Romani heritage if you would like to learn more. It isn't a word anyone but Romani people should be reclaiming in any capacity and def. not something we should associate Serama with. I know the term "gypsy face" has been around in the poultry world for some time but it is antiquated and best left in the dust. I really wish the hobby had a better term, it needs one badly. Just wanted to put that out there with the conversation currently touching on it!

Y'all, I promise I mean this in the politest way possible and only wish to educate: "gypsy" is a slur used to describe Romani people. I know that a lot of misinformed people think it is a quaint and inoffensive thing, but it is not. Here is an article by someone of Romani heritage if you would like to learn more. It isn't a word anyone but Romani people should be reclaiming in any capacity and def. not something we should associate Serama with. I know the term "gypsy face" has been around in the poultry world for some time but it is antiquated and best left in the dust. I really wish the hobby had a better term, it needs one badly. Just wanted to put that out there with the conversation currently touching on it!

Thank you for the info! I was just calling them what I had been told by other breeders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom