American serama thread!

It seems like you can expect almost any colors...probably based on the parents basic prominent coloring...but I've gotten some pretty different color types from some of the hatched chicks...I've gotten a few Silkied chicks from normal feathered parents...ya ya I know that can happen, it's just strange...and you can see it almost as soon as they hatch. I've got a cute little cockrel, that hatched around Christmas...and he has been crowing for over a week!!! Amazing!!! An chick crowing! Anyone else have this experience?

We have our first eggs in the incubator. I am extremely excited. Is there anything that I need to do special for the baby chicks? Will they be fine with the standard chick crumble? Lol. I feel like I need to relearn everything.
I have been mixing some warm water into a small a handful of crumbles....leaving it a little bit soupy. I offer it to the chicks on a coffee can lid, with a sprinkling of chick grit for contrast...they seem to like it and I am less concerned about them getting dehydrated while they are figuring out how to drink from the waterer and they are getting some food into them at the same time. I sometimes poke my finger into the food mash and make "sounds" to attract the chicks to the food...their natural curiosity tends to make them want to check out what that big "finger beak" is messing with. The first taste usually is followed by a head shake and maybe a beak swipe....then they tend to sit back and consider the "New thing"....after a few minutes they go for it again...and start to feed. I will also set up the chick waterer, with brightly coloured marbles in it. As usual this is to prevent the chicks from drowning and to attract the chicks to the water. I bought some pop bottle waterers that have worked out really well for chicks and adults...they are cheap! One of the best things I've added to my Chicken equipment in years! I bought them from "Pinnon Hatch Farms" at a very reasonable price...they included little zip ties for each waterer top to keep them snug on the bottles...without them, the waterer has a tendency to loosen up, leak and fall off the bottles....with the zip ties! Careful not to tighten it to much (you won't be able to fit it on the bottle)....get it just right! And they work great!

It seems like you can expect almost any colors...probably based on the parents basic prominent coloring ...and on the colors of past generations....but I've gotten some pretty different color types from some of the hatched chicks...I've gotten a few Silkied chicks from normal feathered parents They have the recessive gene for silkied and when a chick gets two recessive genes from the parents you get a silkied bird....ya ya I know that can happen, it's just strange...and you can see it almost as soon as they hatch. I've got a cute little cockrel, that hatched around Christmas...and he has been crowing for over a week!!! Amazing!!! An chick crowing! Anyone else have this experience? Yes. And often.

Anyone in the Northeast selling serama chicken eggs or chicks? We live in Boston and just lost all of our first attempt at hatching eggs shipped from Ohio during a cold snap in January.

Anyone in the Northeast selling serama chicken eggs or chicks? We live in Boston and just lost all of our first attempt at hatching eggs shipped from Ohio during a cold snap in January.

We found ours on Ebay. They were from Pennsylvania, Black walnut farms. Packaging was amazing, heat packs, and very generous with extra eggs. You can search for serama eggs on there and should be able to find their listing, they have their eggs for sale quite often.

Quote: Ebay is risky. At times I buy off Ebay and will continue to do so, but you have to be prepared for the risk. I've bought eggs from so-called show birds off ebay. Some of those chicks looked like THEY DID come from show stock. Other ebay eggs hatched and were most definitely NOT as advertised growing into birds of mixed ancestry. Some of the orders came wrapped horrendously with many eggs broken and none hatching. The postal system does not need help in destroying hatching eggs.

Be aware that you get what you pay for. Black Walnut Farms sounds great. Possibly a better idea is to buy directly from them and not take the risk of other Ebay sellers.

Like most people, I often look at prices and go for the lower price-Ebay! However, I'm realizing that avoiding the risk to get something I really, really want is worth a few more dollars.

MAN U don't want me to start talking about seramas and E-Bay!

This is a QUOTE from 2 different SCNA judges when I posed the question: "what makes it a serama?"
ANSWER: If it looks like a serama it is a serama. YELLOW /swarthy or blackish or green are serama leg colors (not so much green any more) WHITE is NOT PERIOD!

Contact Castle Delight Seramas and she will send you eggs AND they WILL be seramas.
https://www.facebook.com/CastleDelightSeramas/
She is also a member of BYC

Would love some opinions on the quality of this guy (tabletop show). He is about 14-16 weeks I believe. He has a great personality, very friendly and showy without being aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom