American serama thread!

Chicks are Babies...Chicks are not hatched, knowing everything a chicken needs to know, in order to survive...if they are lucky, they are hatched out under a very attentive experienced broody hen...if they are hatched in an incubator, they need someone to show them what they need to know...if you are a hands-on chicken owner, you will probably know that day old chicks or incubator chicks need to be shown where the water is, you should dip each one of their little beaks in it and be sure that they actually take a drink....you might have to do it more than once with some chicks...I mix crumbles with warm water to be sure that they all get some water, even if they haven't got the drinking thing down pat right away...dehydrated chicks will die...getting stuck under a bowl? How dumb is that? I'd like to see most people get out from under an eight foot deep twelve foot wide "Bowl"...it would be pretty tough...you should try it. Besides, chickens "Shut Down" if they are put in the dark...like under a box or bowl. I found a full grown hen sitting quietly under a plastic dish pan...it must have flipped over on her when she tried to perch on its edge...doesn't mean she's dumb or stupid...she's behaving just like a chicken. Chicks will drown in puddles, they can't swim, and they are especially susceptible to hypothermia...once it starts to set in they go down hill fast! I try to be sure that there are no things to get stuck under, behind, on top of or in...no twine, string or wire to get tangled up in and strangle...etc...I figure that if it's there, sooner or later someone will get into it...It's just me...and from past experience, I find it easier to prevent the accidents...which is what they are, accidents, usually preventable with a bit of forethought...maybe it's just me...but they are my responsibility...and being a human, I'm supposed to be smarter than a chicken...sometimes I wonder...anyway, I don't find Seramas in general to be smarter or dumber than other chickens...I think you can find smart and dumb birds within any breed...Seramas are cute, interesting, funny, feisty, personable, silly little chickens...if they don't flip your trigger there are lots of breeds out there to choose from!!! But in the end you'll still have a chicken.

They were not new born chicks that drowned! And i disagree there not cute or funny no bird has a personality either thats just people humanizing them ill stick to birds i can eat as that is why birds were put on earth is to feed other things

I won a ebay auction for some serama eggs.  I have been reading up and it's not my first go at it..my incubator died on me last time and I lost the eggs :(  My sultan eggs did fine with the short lack of heat but the seramas did not.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this time I have no mishaps and I will be careful not to over load the bator and kill my turner. 

So, I'm really excited about the possibility of having seramas.  I've wanted some for a while now and have not been able to find any which I think are decent pet quailty.  Most around here seem to be mixed with OEGB, have a bad stance or are just too big. 

We hatch and rear button quail and to the guy who thinks seramas are dumb..try button quail, they are totally sucidal if you do not keep a eye on them.

WHOA U have LOTS AND LOTS of Serama breeders not that far from you. AND a good breeder will rehome their "culls" rather than killing them (Stay away from ASA serama group, they LOVE to kill their culls, I know from first hand experience ... U can contact Jerry Schex for birds also.. .http://jerrysseramasllc.weebly.com/about.html He WILL sell pert quality. Thats all I own is pet quality.. LOVE THEM LITTLE shavers! :love

They were not new born chicks that drowned! And i disagree there not cute or funny no bird has a personality either thats just people humanizing them ill stick to birds i can eat as that is why birds were put on earth is to feed other things
Bingo! That's what I thought...anthropomorphic is the exact word you're looking for...and I believe that every one is entitled to their opinion...and no matter how "Wrong" I might be, to believe that my birds have personality...I enjoy it, and will continue to believe it...it enriches the experience of sharing my life with some of this earths the most fascinating occupants...and yes I eat some of them...they are very tasty...personally and all.

Bingo! That's what I thought...anthropomorphic is the exact word you're looking for...and I believe that every one is entitled to their opinion...and no matter how "Wrong" I might be, to believe that my birds have personality...I enjoy it, and will continue to believe it...it enriches the experience of sharing my life with some of this earths the most fascinating occupants...and yes I eat some of them...they are very tasty...personally and all.

Believe what you want if that makes you happy

Had button quail the female died and couldnt stand the noise the male made so out he went there useless besides cage ornaments
If you read my signature you would see I have aviary birds. The buttons are my cleaners in the aviaries. They do a good job of keeping mosquitos and other bugs away and eat left over seed. We hatch out button eggs about every 3 months and cycle out the oldest buttons to keep only young ones.

Quote: I will check it out. The nicer seramas I've seen on craigslist are about 200miles from me and pricey, even if I wouldn't call them show quality..granted they were not advertised as SQ, but if they want 50+ for a rooster it better be a darned nice one and they are not. Occasionally a pair will come up at the local animal auction and you can bet that it's on a night where I did not take $$ with me and my birds which I was "culling" did not bring enough or had not reached auction block yet. Hoping my eggs will be here today so they do not sit in the truck over the weekend, that will end badly :(

My eggs will not be coming today. They will be sitting in a postal truck at the post office waiting for Monday. Guess I will not be having seramas after all.

Go there and go "postal" explaining they are live embryos and need immediate attention? Might be worth a shot.
Checked with the local PO. The truck did not arrive there but it left palm beach at 8 this morning. Nothing to be done :( I'm upset about it in several ways. 1. within the state even first class mail is normally overnight. This was priority and was not over night. 2. Seriously, someone ships eggs on a FRIDAY? 3. Monday is a postal holiday, they will be closed.

Fresh hatched silkied baby!

3 eggs pipped on Day 19, then hatched out on 20, yay! 3 more eggs don't have any pips yet on 21.
barnie.gif
fl.gif

Checked with the local PO. The truck did not arrive there but it left palm beach at 8 this morning. Nothing to be done :( I'm upset about it in several ways. 1. within the state even first class mail is normally overnight. This was priority and was not over night. 2. Seriously, someone ships eggs on a FRIDAY? 3. Monday is a postal holiday, they will be closed.

If they thought it was ok to ship on a Friday, I have to wonder how much care they took to pack. If your eggs don't develop, you'll have a good argument to negotiate more eggs from them. Perhaps they're new to shipping eggs and don't yet know the best practices.

Back
Top Bottom